Joining the Finnish army?!

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Post Reply
Tapio Heikura
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Joining the Finnish army?!

Post by Tapio Heikura » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 am

Currently I am living abroad from Finland and have been doing so since the age of four years old. I am a mutilingual person speaking fluently English and Spanish along with a bit of Finnish ( I cannot write, I can read somewhat but with difficult and my level probably doesn't exceed that of a 12 year old :) ). Hopefully I was hoping you guys could help me with some questions and advice!
1) i am right now 17 years right now and will be completing my IB diploma next June I will just of turned 18. And I would like to join the army that very same summer, but I heard you get your conscript letter the year you turn 19, which would mean for me that I would have to wait a whole year before I can join. Or can I simply also join that very same summer ideally in July. And how can I begin this process?
2) can someone explain the whole documentation process behind before you join. When you get the letter, medical check up and meeting with the board ( I don't know if this happens)
3) since my Finnish isn't to good, can I still do my army service in Finnish morover will the lack of writing and reading do damage?
4) my intentions are to do a whole 12 months of service and I want to join the hardest units, I heard that "Sissi" is one of them so can I ask to join them? I am a very athletic person doing lots of sports (soccer, swimming, track and field) and I have shot a firearm a few times, though I am no marksman. Or is there any other unit which is harder?
5) any tips or advice feel free to tell me



Joining the Finnish army?!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

betelgeuse
Posts: 3581
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Joining the Finnish army?!

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Tapio Heikura wrote: 1) i am right now 17 years right now and will be completing my IB diploma next June I will just of turned 18. And I would like to join the army that very same summer, but I heard you get your conscript letter the year you turn 19, which would mean for me that I would have to wait a whole year before I can join. Or can I simply also join that very same summer ideally in July. And how can I begin this process?
You get the letter the year you turn 18.

http://varusmies.fi/kutsunnat
Tapio Heikura wrote: 3) since my Finnish isn't to good, can I still do my army service in Finnish morover will the lack of writing and reading do damage?
Everyone officially does it in Finnish or Swedish. However, lack of Finnish skills prevents you from being assigned to a program that requires learning a lot of Finnish materials (this is for example all reserve officer programs).
Tapio Heikura wrote: 4) my intentions are to do a whole 12 months of service and I want to join the hardest units, I heard that "Sissi" is one of them so can I ask to join them? I am a very athletic person doing lots of sports (soccer, swimming, track and field) and I have shot a firearm a few times, though I am no marksman. Or is there any other unit which is harder?
There's special applications for paratroopers and divers. These are considered the most tough programs.

Tapio Heikura
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Re: Joining the Finnish army?!

Post by Tapio Heikura » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:52 pm

Okay thanks but I was curious can I still join paratrooper and special forces whilst being a conscript in the same year?

Rosamunda
Posts: 10649
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Re: Joining the Finnish army?!

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:17 pm

You apply when you get the call-up papers. You would need to be available for the 3-day training. Some include a skiing test so usually take place in January. The initial 6week training is pretty much the same for everyone. The clever stuff starts after you've taken the oath. No hope of officer training without good Finnish. Lots of essay writing involved.

TruthSeeker
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Re: Joining the Finnish army?!

Post by TruthSeeker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi all,

As I explained in the title, I recently became a Finnish citizen. I will soon be 28 years old, meaning that I am eligible for conscription. I happily want to do it, hopefully this summer, although I have a permanent job, which I really enjoy doing. However, I would prefer to do it for only 6 months, and no longer (due to my personal and career plans).

I made some research, and I found that these options all take 165 days (6 months) to complete.

Considering my age, and my lack of Finnish skills (which are not even close to my English, but good enough to pass YKI testi, real level probably B1) which of these options below would you recommend me?

-Eläinhuoltomies
-Konekiväärimies
-Panssarihaupitsin ampuja
-Taistelupelastaja
-Tiedustelija
-Rynnäkkökiväärimies
-Pyöräalustaisen maastoajoneuvoa eli maastoskootterin kuljettaja
-Tiedustelu ja valmisteluryhmän jäsen

In which of these options I would need to speak the least? Or in which of these would I be okay with English? Another question, can my employer give me any hard time due to the fact that I will be doing the conscription and will be away for at least 6 months? I still haven't notified them, will do that once I get the confirmation when I will start the conscription.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Much love.


Post Reply