Unemployment benefit while studying

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Cory

Re: Unemployment benefit while studying

Post by Cory » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 pm

moonlightway wrote: I registered at te-toimisto as a jobseeker.
Before agreeing to start any study program, with the hope of also getting unemployment benefits, TE-keskus must approve the line of study. You probably shouldn't quit your job, decide on a line of study and then bring TE-keskus into the discussion.
moonlightway wrote:They also want to know that ''Am I looking for a job or ready to take a full-time job if offered''.

But if I study full-time, I can not accept full-time job offer.How should I respond, any ideas?
You must answer as you just have here- that you can not accept a FT job because you will be studying.

Will your response get you benefits? Probably not. But if you deceive them then any benefit paid to you they might expect to be paid back at some point.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:46 pm

moonlightway wrote:Thank you for your reply. @tavastia

Actually, I am talking about this.

http://www.te-palvelut.fi/te/en/jobseek ... index.html

I can be at school and get unemployment benefit, if they decide it like that.

But I am not sure how to reply that question!
You simply decided to ignore all of the advice given to you here. Why did you ask then in the first place??

Yes, the site says that this is a possibility, BUT ONLY IF THE TE-OFFICE AGREES BEFOREHAND!! (As I had clearly pointed out.) You have absolutely no right to it! And honestly, it will not apply to your situation.

I already wrote "I did say that you need the TE-Office to agree to the studies. But they will only agree if a) you have been unemployed for a while, plus b) you have no good chances of finding a job in your current field in the foreseeable future, and additionally c) the education you seek increases your chances of finding a job drastically."

Do you fit
a) no, you just got unemployed.
b) no, as you yourself quit your previous long-lasting job, so you might have chances of finding another job.
c) unlikely. Also your current chances of finding a job are untested yet as you have not been seeking any work.

So finally understand that this is no program to help you finance your studies. This is to increase your chances of finding a job. And as you had a job for many years you are clearly able to look for a job again. You have no right to the best education for the best job possible!

So pick up the phone and call your TE-office hotline, and say that you want to talk to your case worker. Then ask him if you can do this. And I bet he will say no, you have to try to find a job first. Only after years of unemployment you might get an assessment that allows you to get further training, when everything else failed and you then seem like a good candidate for that, but there is no guarantee and right, it depends on your assessment.

And also the government is giving the TE-offices less and less money, so the funding in this pot is going down. Fewer and fewer people get it every year. It is reserved for special cases, and also mostly for vocational training. You wanna become a plumber - you might have chances of getting funding after several years of unemployment.

Post by 007 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 pm

moonlightway wrote: Now I am going to start my master's studies at a university.

My classes will start soon. I have checked the study schedules and it seems that it is quite impossible to do work and study at the same time.

Now, my question is am I eligible to get unemployment benefit?
I am not sure if what I am going to say here has already been covered as I haven't read any of the previous posts. Anyway, what caught my eyes was that you are going to start your studies at a university.

Does that mean you have already accepted the offer to study at a university? TE-toimisto plays by the book. You need their approval before you accept the offer if you were to get unemployment benefits as a student.

Once you accept the offer, you are considered a student. So, if TE-toimisto says you cannot study with unemployment money, you are stuck with student benefits and bye bye to kassa money.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

mavisbush

Post by mavisbush » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I have a question here,
since "moonlightway" has got his/her finnish citizenship, why can\t he just apply study allowance for student from KELA?
Why it has to be unemployment benefit? :?:

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 pm

mavisbush wrote:I have a question here,
since "moonlightway" has got his/her finnish citizenship, why can\t he just apply study allowance for student from KELA?
As too my knowledge:
You are not eligible to get student benefits or a student loan if you are getting unemployment benefits or are eligible for unemployment benefits. As moonlightway had a job for many years that he will quit now (or has already quit) he is eligible for unemployment benefits. (Even if he practically does not get them for the first 2 months as he quit the job himself.) He can of course always ask KELA, but I bet I already know their answer.

http://www.kela.fi/documents/10180/6819 ... a7453a374e

Cory

Post by Cory » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:44 pm

OP can apply for opintotuki of course. My guess is that since this tuki is only about 225/mth after taxes, unemployment benefit is probably more.

Post by 007 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Unemployment benefits > student allowance

In fact, if he/she is a member of a kassa (most probably is), he/she gets kassa money which is bigger (dependent on the salary) than what you get as an unemployed from KELA.

So, Kassa money > unemployment benefits > student allowance. Therein lies the reason for wanting to study with TE-toimisto's blessings.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"