living in the UK working in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
paul1965

Post by paul1965 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:59 am

Hi, I’ve just come across this forum and I’m sure there sufficient experience to answer my questions on status and tax liabilities.
I am resident in the UK and paying taxes in the UK but recently I was engaged by a Netherlands bases agency for work on a logistics project UK and Finland.
Some of my work is in the UK but on a rotation basis over the next 2 years I will work form clients offices in Finland for 30 days and then return to the UK for 28 days.
Initially I didn’t have any concerns on my status and liability for taxes as I would never have 6 consecutive months in Finland, I can easily evidence that my family home is in the UK and I do not keep a home in Finland, but more recently I was alerted to the 183 days rule, this ruling of 183 days over a rolling 365 days is much more constraining, if my traveling days are counted in country then I could have 200 days in this current 365 day period.
Does anyone have specific knowledge of this situation and could offer any advice. Thanks Paul.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: living in the UK working in Finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Have you checked https://www.vero.fi/en/detailed-guidanc ... countries/ ? UK tax office (or whatever it's called) probably has similar information available. If still unclear, I'd try contacting the tax officials to see their response, as they know exactly how it goes.

paul1965

Re: living in the UK working in Finland

Post by paul1965 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, my employer already directed me to this site and the following article, wherein no other consideration is required.
I live and pay tax in the UK, my employer does not have any permanent office or establishment, how can I get assurance that my position is free from any tax demands.

6 Working in Finland for a foreign employer

6.1 Amounts paid to a nonresident

If an individual is treated as being a nonresident in Finland under the provisions of Income Tax Act and the employer is domiciled in a foreign country, the pay is not taxed in Finland. In these circumstances, the individual concerned must only complete a tax return and pay taxes in his or her country of residence.