Is it worth it to be a programmer/developer in Finland ?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
voidfog

Post by voidfog » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 am

I intend to try to immigrate to somewhere in Europe in the future when I get enough experience and attractive skills. I've always liked Finland so much due to its peacefulness, safety, interesting culture and quality of life Of course I know that there are drawbacks such as the difficulty to make friends, long winters full of darkness, and very high cost of living. What I want to know is if it's possible to live a comfortable life as a developer in Finland. My conception of comfortable is: being able to buy a small flat at some point (I'm never going to become a parent, so no need for a lot of space), travel every year on my vocation, going to concerts from time to time, and MAYBE save a little bit.I don't discard the possibility of finding a partner, but keep in mind that the things I've just mentioned I want to conquer with my own money.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Is it worth it to be a programmer/developer in Finland ?

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:48 pm

voidfog wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 am
What I want to know is if it's possible to live a comfortable life as a developer in Finland. My conception of comfortable is: being able to buy a small flat at some point (I'm never going to become a parent, so no need for a lot of space), travel every year on my vocation, going to concerts from time to time, and MAYBE save a little bit.I don't discard the possibility of finding a partner, but keep in mind that the things I've just mentioned I want to conquer with my own money.
It is.

agroot

Re: Is it worth it to be a programmer/developer in Finland ?

Post by agroot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Do you like programming? I know people who don't always end up struggling, experience cannot help.

I'll have a better assessment a year from now, but even with my spendable income only equivalent to 34k euros salary a year - I calculated I can get a nice place in their beautiful city with fully equipped kitchen, free heating and hot water, and within 30 minutes commute time, and at least 5000 euro left for vacation/shopping every year, in addition to daily spending and costly dining at weekends.

The basic salary for mid-level is actually around 40k and you probably wouldn't get hired if not that worth at least, so you would be able to save some money, unable to buy a place in the Great Helsinki but elsewhere seems quite cheap for retirement/summer home.

But of course if you come from a third world country like me, you probably need to support parents etc and thus need considerable higher income (remittance and loans in home country are not tax free!)