Is it worth it to be a programmer/developer in Finland ?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
voidfog

Post by voidfog » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 am

I intend to try to immigrate to somewhere in Europe in the future when I get enough experience and attractive skills. I've always liked Finland so much due to its peacefulness, safety, interesting culture and quality of life Of course I know that there are drawbacks such as the difficulty to make friends, long winters full of darkness, and very high cost of living. What I want to know is if it's possible to live a comfortable life as a developer in Finland. My conception of comfortable is: being able to buy a small flat at some point (I'm never going to become a parent, so no need for a lot of space), travel every year on my vocation, going to concerts from time to time, and MAYBE save a little bit.I don't discard the possibility of finding a partner, but keep in mind that the things I've just mentioned I want to conquer with my own money.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Is it worth it to be a programmer/developer in Finland ?

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:48 pm

voidfog wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:39 am
What I want to know is if it's possible to live a comfortable life as a developer in Finland. My conception of comfortable is: being able to buy a small flat at some point (I'm never going to become a parent, so no need for a lot of space), travel every year on my vocation, going to concerts from time to time, and MAYBE save a little bit.I don't discard the possibility of finding a partner, but keep in mind that the things I've just mentioned I want to conquer with my own money.
It is.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Do you like programming? I know people who don't always end up struggling, experience cannot help.

I'll have a better assessment a year from now, but even with my spendable income only equivalent to 34k euros salary a year - I calculated I can get a nice place in their beautiful city with fully equipped kitchen, free heating and hot water, and within 30 minutes commute time, and at least 5000 euro left for vacation/shopping every year, in addition to daily spending and costly dining at weekends.

The basic salary for mid-level is actually around 40k and you probably wouldn't get hired if not that worth at least, so you would be able to save some money, unable to buy a place in the Great Helsinki but elsewhere seems quite cheap for retirement/summer home.

But of course if you come from a third world country like me, you probably need to support parents etc and thus need considerable higher income (remittance and loans in home country are not tax free!)

voidfog

Post by voidfog » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:33 am

How did you get the job? I'm also a third world national... but I don't have any family to support

Puttmill

Post by Puttmill » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm

No reason why you shouldn't be able to live comfortably. There's jobs out there in the field and if you're not having kids, you should be able to meet those goals without too much trouble.