Electrician work question

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Redinthesky

Post by Redinthesky » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:44 am

I’m currently living in Australia, but I hold EU citizenship. My question is are electrical trades regulated in Finland? I’m thinking of becoming a electrician in Australia then moving to Finland or Switzerland. It’s a certificate 3 apprenticeship that lasts 4 years. If anyone could inform me about this question? :mrgreen:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

philimoni

Re: Electrician work question

Post by philimoni » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 pm

There is no cross over of qualifications from Australia to Finland as an electrician. Believe me I know! :shock:
To become an electrician in Finland, first you must learn Finnish language to a reasonable degree (about 2 years), then you can apply to go to school to study to be an electrician. However these courses aren't always available and so stones you have to wait up to a year. The school lasts 2 years. Passing the school means you can work for someone else, but can't work alone or start your own business. If you want to do that you need to pass a test held twice a year at a cost of around €100. My Finnish wasn't good enough for this test (after 4 years). Now after 4.5 years you can apply for electrician jobs!