Looking for jobs, any tips?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
pigdoesasapigdo

Post by pigdoesasapigdo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Hello.
I have recently moved to Tampere to live with my wife. I am still waiting for my residence permit to be approved so I know that I cant work yet but I have been slowly looking for jobs to apply for when I do get approved. My wife isnt working because she will give birth to our daughter in about a month. We do have some savings but with how long the application process takes and being unsure that I will be able to find a decent job when the time comes I do stress quite a bit. My wife says that she could go back to work after giving birth if she needs to but even that would just be at a restaurant or bartending. Being in a no tip culture means those jobs dont pay well. And of course I dont want her to be working if we can avoid it.
I have been casually looking for jobs in my trade(commercial floor installation) or other construction fields but of course only speaking English hurts my ability to search as well as I am often demoralized when talking and asking questions from people who say that non Finnish speaking people cant work in the trades. Again I am aware that I wont even be able to work for some time but I am getting quite worried and seeing a small light at the end of the tunnel to give me a little hope would help. I am willing to do any kind of work but my wife would like me to find something I have experience in for a better chance for higher pay.
Is anyone able to direct me to a helpful website for job searching? One that is English friendly. Or does anyone have experience dealing with construction companies in Finland? Any information or tips you could share would be wonderful. What is the best way of approaching a company for work? Any helpful stories of similar experiences you could share?
Thank you for your help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jarikaija

Re: Looking for jobs, any tips?

Post by jarikaija » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 am

pigdoesasapigdo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:33 pm
Hello.
Is anyone able to direct me to a helpful website for job searching? One that is English friendly. Or does anyone have experience dealing with construction companies in Finland? Any information or tips you could share would be wonderful. What is the best way of approaching a company for work? Any helpful stories of similar experiences you could share?
Thank you for your help!

Speaking english only is not a problem on factory jobs, like making out doors.
Company, where I'm working, get sometimes people, who doesn't
speak finnish. Only estonian, russian, german, english etc... All of those
workers was fine in here...

But... you should check some factory jobs from Tampere area...

Muangole19

Post by Muangole19 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:46 pm

is it possible to get a job in Finland not residing there to be able to apply for a work visa

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:38 am

Muangole19 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:46 pm
is it possible to get a job in Finland not residing there to be able to apply for a work visa
Yes, but unlikely unless you have some niche skills.

doajob

Post by doajob » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:29 pm

Like in any country a network helps... you need to tap into your wife’s friends, family, extended family, Neighbours... Ask them how you can help - even for free to start off.

Any sort of “in” to any kind of work is what you need. Applying for random jobs online may work but is very difficult.