Aussie moving to Tampere

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
aussiem8

Aussie moving to Tampere

Post by aussiem8 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 pm

G'day everyone.

I'm an Australian and will be moving to Tampere in September with my Finnish partner. I'm trying to find out realistically what my job opportunities will be like when I arrive. I'm a dual national and have a British passport so I can work for now, but once all this brexit business is finalised I'm guessing I will have to take further measures with residency and work permits.

I'm a qualified school teacher in Australia and have CELTA certification with some experience teaching English as a second language. I understand my school teaching qualifications aren't recognised in Finland so I'm aiming more towards language centres, teaching adults and business English.

I also have over 10 years experience as a piano teacher.

I have worked as professional musician (pianist) in Australia for almost a decade playing with a variety of bands, working as a sessions musician playing everywhere from restaurants to corporate events to festivals to touring internationally. I have heard form colleagues about the cruise ship scene around the baltic sea and will look into that a bit more when I arrive.

I'm always on the looking for music related work, but I know this is far from a viable source of income when I first arrive.

I'm mainly wondering if anyone has any tips, or any past experience being in my situation.... or anything that might be of use really. I have work opportunities online, but that will only really cover my basic living expenses.

Cheers

Aussie moving to Tampere

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

DMC

Re: Aussie moving to Tampere

Post by DMC » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:24 pm

aussiem8 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 pm
I have heard form colleagues about the cruise ship scene around the baltic sea and will look into that a bit more when I arrive.
A few months ago I chatted to a British guy who was performing on a ferry between Sweden and Finland. He was just singing & playing guitar (alone) in one of the bars on board, not in the main performance area. He said when he got the gig he just did a short audition and he didn't give me the impression that he considered it difficult to get hired. I didn't discuss money with him so have no clue if it was a lucrative occupation, but you could be on the right lines to try that, at least to get something happening. Of course a piano is not so portable as a guitar so you are not as flexible but I have seen pianos on those ferries so they must have people to play them.

Caniwi

Post by Caniwi » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:32 pm

You should get right of residence with your Finnish partner, My advice is to use this opportunity to learn the language. It takes a while and is pretty frustrating at times . They have a system here for checking your qualifications so you may actually be qualified to teach english eventually. As a native speaker you have a big advantage here. Check “Eures” jobseeker and type english in the search engine.

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Without any Finnish or Swedish skills, and in those areas?

My answer: You've got buckley's