Working in Finland as a EU citizen (residency not registered yet!)

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
jimena_jr

Post by jimena_jr » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:41 am

Hi!

I'm a EU citizen who has been living in Finland for half a year now, but since I don't fulfill any of the grounds I haven't been able to register my residency yet. I'm looking for a job and I was lucky enough to be offered an interview, which will take place next week. When I brought up the subject of my still-to-be-registered residency to my (possible) future employer, she suggested that I still try and get my Finnish social security number before the interview next week. Am I wrong to believe that I would only be able to get a social security number ONCE I've been able to register my residency, which would come only after getting an employment contract, since being an employee in Finland is one of the grounds to register your residency?
Has anyone else been in this situation recently & what are the steps to follow when you get a job but your residency is still not registered...?

Thank you for any opinions/ comments.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Working in Finland as a EU citizen (residency not registered yet!)

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:38 pm

jimena_jr wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:41 am
I'm a EU citizen who has been living in Finland for half a year now, but since I don't fulfill any of the grounds I haven't been able to register my residency yet. I'm looking for a job and I was lucky enough to be offered an interview, which will take place next week. When I brought up the subject of my still-to-be-registered residency to my (possible) future employer, she suggested that I still try and get my Finnish social security number before the interview next week. Am I wrong to believe that I would only be able to get a social security number ONCE I've been able to register my residency, which would come only after getting an employment contract, since being an employee in Finland is one of the grounds to register your residency?
Has anyone else been in this situation recently & what are the steps to follow when you get a job but your residency is still not registered...?
You won't be able to get a social security number because such a thing does not exist. It's sad that even authorities often use this wrong term. Finland only has a personal identity code and having one does not mean that there is social security coverage (it's determined separately by Kela).

Presenting a personal identity code is not required to conclude an employment contract unless a credit check is required (this would be, for example, jobs that involve handling significant sums of money). It's common for EU citizens to first conclude their contracts and then get the code when registering their right of residence.

If you really want to do it in the reverse order, you can try to register to the population register via Maistraatti as a temporary resident.

"2) hänellä on Suomessa kotikuntalaissa tarkoitettu tilapäinen asuinpaikka ja tallettaminen on tarpeen työskentelyyn, opiskeluun tai muuhun vastaavaan olosuhteeseen liittyvien velvollisuuksien tai oikeuksien toteuttamisen vuoksi;"

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 90661#L2P9

jimena_jr

Post by jimena_jr » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:00 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:38 pm
jimena_jr wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:41 am
You won't be able to get a social security number because such a thing does not exist. It's sad that even authorities often use this wrong term. Finland only has a personal identity code and having one does not mean that there is social security coverage (it's determined separately by Kela).

Presenting a personal identity code is not required to conclude an employment contract unless a credit check is required (this would be, for example, jobs that involve handling significant sums of money). It's common for EU citizens to first conclude their contracts and then get the code when registering their right of residence.

If you really want to do it in the reverse order, you can try to register to the population register via Maistraatti as a temporary resident.

"2) hänellä on Suomessa kotikuntalaissa tarkoitettu tilapäinen asuinpaikka ja tallettaminen on tarpeen työskentelyyn, opiskeluun tai muuhun vastaavaan olosuhteeseen liittyvien velvollisuuksien tai oikeuksien toteuttamisen vuoksi;"

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 90661#L2P9
Right, that's what I thought. I'll look into the Maistratti option if they really insist. Thank you for your clear explanation :)

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:18 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
It's common for EU citizens to first conclude their contracts and then get the code when registering their right of residence.
I doubt this is true.
Registering the right of residence is something that can wait up to 3 months, Vero registration is urgent.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:54 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:18 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
It's common for EU citizens to first conclude their contracts and then get the code when registering their right of residence.
I doubt this is true.
Registering the right of residence is something that can wait up to 3 months, Vero registration is urgent.
I have no statistics about the matter so my guess could be wrong. Yes, vero registration is useful to adjust withholding percentage (not mandatory to be able to get paid in general though) but equally useful is the Kela and municipality services (like doctors) for which the registration of right of residence is a necessary step. I would not leave registration of right of residence to the last day.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:34 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:54 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:18 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
I doubt this is true.
I have no statistics about the matter so my guess could be wrong. Yes, vero registration is useful to adjust withholding percentage (not mandatory to be able to get paid in general though) but equally useful is the Kela and municipality services (like doctors)
Municipality services are less relevant for people who have a job, employers are providing higher quality private healthcare.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:53 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:34 pm
Municipality services are less relevant for people who have a job, employers are providing higher quality private healthcare.
Only some. The only requirement is occupational healthcare which does not cover GP. An additional example of the usefulness of municipality of residence is that credit rating algorithms make use of the information.