Marine Scientist on a move

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Philipp

Post by Philipp » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Greetings all! I'm newbie on this forum.
Currently, I create this topic to find any links and network with new relations and suggestions.
I'm doing my PhD in Malaysia, but originally - I'm from Russia and thinking to move from science - probably to industries and companies in Finland to get a job. I was dreaming about Finland for a long time and thinking to move there with my oceanography diplomas and huge motivation. But the problem is - my specific area - Marine Scientist. Academic and University regulations are funded from the grants - and as I understood - they will have problems to allow some postdoc positions for international guy.
So, the question: Are there any marine-ocean-sea jobs to apply in Finland to get a job. I'm ready for any tough periods :) and for sure - in Finland it would be pleasure, but searching the job by yourself without any mentors - it's really hard.
And - again - Greetings to all of you, hopefully I'll be useful in some reasons for somebody)
Patiently waiting for your response :roll:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Marine Scientist on a move

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:34 am

Philipp wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:30 pm
Academic and University regulations are funded from the grants - and as I understood - they will have problems to allow some postdoc positions for international guy.
What is your source for this understanding?
Non-EU citizenship should not be a problem for a paid position at a Finnish university, this is pretty common in some fields.
Philipp wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:30 pm
So, the question: Are there any marine-ocean-sea jobs to apply in Finland to get a job. I'm ready for any tough periods :)
How are your Finnish language skills?
Universities are your best chance for an English-language job.
Finnish companies usually have Finnish as company language, being able to work in the language is usually a mandatory requirement for getting any job outside universities unless you are working in IT.

Philipp

Post by Philipp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:11 pm

:thumbsup: Pretty nice response!
Thanks a lot, I thought it will take longer)
I didn't learn Finnish language, but I'm pretty sure - if I will catch any opportunity - I will learn the language of the country or company.
The main issue in my area - that most of the Finnish Universities with Marine science field - not well sponsored - to support the unknown guys from other countries, i contact by phone with some members from Finnish Environmental Institute and they informed me that they are facing some troubles. In this case - my extra option is to apply in companies with similar jobs to marine science. Hopefully, I described my questions clearly and will be grateful for any other answers.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Philipp wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:11 pm
I didn't learn Finnish language, but I'm pretty sure - if I will catch any opportunity - I will learn the language of the country or company.
When the language is required in a company you must speak the language before you can get a job offer.

How are the chances of finding a job in your field in Russian companies for people who do not speak Russian?
This is the same situation.

Philipp

Post by Philipp » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:21 pm

The main issue is not a language, English is the main scientific language worldwide. And I'm not asking about the language borders , I posted my questions to find the sources from the people from Finland. I found some sources by myself and LinkedIn and I'm well-informed about regulations in foreign companies.