Studying in a UAS and getting a student job

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Lib69

Post by Lib69 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:17 am

I'm starting my engineering degree in Internet of Things in Savonia UAS in Kuopio in August.. I wanted to know what it's like studying in the UASs.. I hear it much more different from the regular universities. And also I want to know how hard it is for an international student, who struggles with basic Finnish to get a student job, especially in Kuopio. I'm basically looking at any job that won't interfere in my studies. I also have programming (python) and web design skills... Will that help?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Studying in a UAS and getting a student job

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 03, 2020 7:19 pm

Lib69 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:17 am
I'm starting my engineering degree in Internet of Things in Savonia UAS in Kuopio in August. ... I want to know how hard it is for an international student, who struggles with basic Finnish to get a student job, especially in Kuopio. I'm basically looking at any job that won't interfere in my studies. I also have programming (python) and web design skills... Will that help?
Outside of IT (student) jobs that do not require Finnish are very rare.
Finding a job in IT at the beginning of your studies sounds optimistic.
Kuopio has 120k inhabitants, 10% of them are students.

Perhaps you will be lucky, but most likely you will not manage to find a student job during your first year in Finland.

Above was already true in normal times, studying during a recession and with COVID-19 in the country will make it even harder to find a job.

Lib69

Post by Lib69 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:40 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:19 pm
Lib69 wrote:
I'm starting my engineering degree in Internet of Things in Savonia UAS in Kuopio in August. ... I want to know how hard it is for an international student, who struggles with basic Finnish to get a student job, especially in Kuopio. I'm basically looking at any job that won't interfere in my studies. I also have programming (python) and web design skills... Will that help?

Perhaps you will be lucky, but most likely you will not manage to find a student job during your first year in Finland.

Above was already true in normal times, studying during a recession and with COVID-19 in the country will make it even harder to find a job.

As hard as it is to get a student job in Kuopio.. What job search approach do you think will increase my chances of getting a job?

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun May 03, 2020 8:06 pm

What job search approach do you think will increase my chances of getting a job?
Contacts and networking.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Lib69 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:40 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Lib69 wrote:

As hard as it is to get a student job in Kuopio.. What job search approach do you think will increase my chances of getting a job?
Networking with people and companies during your studies.
When a company hires for a (student) job and someone already working at the company recommends you as a good person for the job, there is a good chance you will get it.

Lib69

Post by Lib69 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:56 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:17 pm
Lib69 wrote:
FinlandGirl wrote:

When a company hires for a (student) job and someone already working at the company recommends you as a good person for the job, there is a good chance you will get it.

OK I'll do that.. I think I read on Savonia's website that they assign students to SMEs during their studies as part of their course... That's very good news right?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 03, 2020 9:49 pm

Lib69 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:56 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Lib69 wrote:

OK I'll do that.. I think I read on Savonia's website that they assign students to SMEs during their studies as part of their course... That's very good news right?
A University of Applied Sciences is teaching more towards the job market and less towards a career in science.
Your chances of finding work after graduation or a student job later during your studies are not bad.
Last edited by FinlandGirl on Sun May 03, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lib69

Post by Lib69 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:54 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:49 pm
Lib69 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:56 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:

A University of Applied Sciences is teaching more towards the job market and less towards a career in science.
Your chances of finding work after graduation or a student job later in your studies are not bad.

OK.. Thanks for the info