Job search visa?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
johncap1

Job search visa?

Post by johncap1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am

Hi, I recently graduated from a Finnish university. Already had a fixed term contract job, and got A-type permit on the basis of working till the end of this year because my contract is also till the end of this year.

In case my job contract is not extended, is it possible to apply for job search visa which is given to graduates from Finnish universities once, for one year? Thank you!

Job search visa?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Job search visa?

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:12 pm

johncap1 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am
Hi, I recently graduated from a Finnish university. Already had a fixed term contract job, and got A-type permit on the basis of working till the end of this year because my contract is also till the end of this year.

In case my job contract is not extended, is it possible to apply for job search visa which is given to graduates from Finnish universities once, for one year?
https://migri.fi/en/extended-permit-to-look-for-work
Migri wrote:Requirements: 1. You have a valid residence permit for studies or for scientific research.

johncap1

Post by johncap1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:55 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:12 pm
johncap1 wrote:

In case my job contract is not extended, is it possible to apply for job search visa which is given to graduates from Finnish universities once, for one year?
Migri wrote:Requirements: 1. You have a valid residence permit for studies or for scientific research.
Thank you for the link. I did check it before posting, but am confused since it states that
You need to have a valid residence permit for studies or for scientific research.
so, now that I have a working visa, I will not be allowed to apply for this? event though I haven't applied for the job search visa once, in the first place and directly got the A-permit on the basis of work?
Last edited by johncap1 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:26 am

johncap1 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:55 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:12 pm
johncap1 wrote:

Thank you for the link. I did check it before posting, but am confused since it states that
You need to have a valid residence permit for studies or for scientific research.
so, now that I have a working visa, I will not be allowed to apply for this? event though I haven't applied for the job search visa once, in the first place and directly got the A-permit on the basis of work?
It is intended to help finding a first job after graduation.
You already have a job, if you are worried about contract extension you still have 5 months searching for new opportunities.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:50 pm

There is no time limit to get the job search permit after graduation. Doesn’t matter that the op has had a job or not. The permit is only granted once for up to 12 months (depends on how much funds you have to support yourself).

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:52 pm

heretostay wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:50 pm
There is no time limit to get the job search permit after graduation. Doesn’t matter that the op has had a job or not. The permit is only granted once for up to 12 months (depends on how much funds you have to support yourself).
This statement is in conflict with the Migri web page already linked to.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:13 pm

heretostay wrote:
There is no time limit to get the job search permit after graduation.
You might be confusing this with skipping the partial decision when applying for a residence permit for work?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:13 pm
heretostay wrote:
You might be confusing this with skipping the partial decision when applying for a residence permit for work?
No. My source is the police sent a representative to talk to a group of us graduating students a few years ago about this. The permit had just been extended from 6 months to one year and people had lots of very specific questions. The lad y was very clear that there is no time limit after graduating to apply for this permit but you can only get it once and only for as long enough as you have funds to meet support requirements, up to 12 months.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 am

heretostay wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:13 pm
heretostay wrote:
No. My source is the police sent a representative to talk to a group of us graduating students a few years ago about this. The permit had just been extended from 6 months to one year and people had lots of very specific questions. The lad y was very clear that there is no time limit after graduating to apply for this permit but you can only get it once and only for as long enough as you have funds to meet support requirements, up to 12 months.
It is already several years that the police is no longer involved in issuing residence permit, and rules might have changed since then.

Legally this is just a residence permit on other grounds, it might be relatively easy to change how that is being granted.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:06 pm

It could have changed, sure. But I personally know one person was granted this permit last year for a master degree that was completed in 2006.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:38 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 am
Legally this is just a residence permit on other grounds, it might be relatively easy to change how that is being granted.
It's not. These permits have their own section in legislation.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/alkup/201 ... p446293552

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:23 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:38 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 am
It's not. These permits have their own section in legislation.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/alkup/201 ... p446293552
"Oleskelulupa myönnetään tilapäisenä enintään yhdeksi vuodeksi edellisen oleskeluluvan päättymisestä."

johncap1

Post by johncap1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Thank you for the discussion. I have also emailed migri regarding this, lets see what they reply. Will post the response so others can benefit. Cheers

Pwelsh

Post by Pwelsh » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:43 pm

Maybe law change recent? I have same visa more than one year after graduation. I leave to home country for 3 years then return last year and is no problem migri give permit one year B permit for job searching no restrict for what type working.