Talking translators

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
turbodank23

Talking translators

Post by turbodank23 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:32 am

Does anyone know of any good reasonably priced electronic language translators for ENGLISH TO FINNISH AND FINNISH TO ENGLISH if you do please contact me thank you in advance

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-- Ernest Hemingway

Talking translators

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:41 am

Yeah, in Star Trek movies :mrgreen:

Ain't none such that would actually work.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:49 am

There are a couple of different ones available.

I have Syntax 7.0, but really it can't be used for anything much. It is good if your language skills are still developing, and you get an e-mail in Finnish, you can cut and paste and get the gist.

If you want to magically turn your English Essay to Finnish, you can expect some pretty funny results.

It's a handy tool to have, but not to be relied upon for anything serious.

If you want to try a few out, you could first try the library first. They often have them.

Cheers
Gavin

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:13 am

We go to these religious electro-translated websites to have a giggle. "Jesus is the foremost hotelboy!"

I use an electronic translator/ dictionary at work, but you require to know what the options are before using them. Will make you look a worse idiot what you are for using one to actually try to then use the gibberish you ge as Finnish.

There are a few tools around like the conjugator, but for Finnish you need to get someone to teach it to you. Worse thing is to spend a year and learn it "wrong".
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.