Text-based adventure games in Finnish

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:49 pm

Those of you who are interested in retrocomputing and retrogaming (in addition to the Finnish language, of course!) could find these Finnish text-based adventure games interesting: Every single one of them is for the Commodore 64 microcomputer – most written in the 1980s – and provided on those pages as part of Niila T. Rautanen’s Suomen Commodore-arkisto software archival and preservation project.

In order to run the games without an actual C64 computer, you need an emulator; a program that simulates the Commodore 64 hardware on your modern computer. One popular choice for achieving that is VICE. (Basically, you install it, double-click on x64.exe and drag and drop the game file – usually a file with the extension .d64, .t64, or .p00 – on its main window.)

Many of these are classic text-based adventure games (or “interactive fiction”, as the term goes these days!) with a simple verb-noun parser. This means that you control the protagonist of the story by giving him one or two-word commands, such as KATSO, OTA MAKKARA, SYÖ PILLERI, AVAA OVI, or by entering directions such as P (for POHJOINEN), E (for ETELÄ), I (for ITÄ), L (for LÄNSI), YLÖS, or ALAS.

znark

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

buldozr

Post by buldozr » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:53 pm

It's a nice way to learn. I greatly improved my English while playing text MUDs back in the days :lol:

hengest

Post by hengest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:04 am

Any Finnish games in the Infocom Z Machine format? I've found other non-English ones on IF Archive, but sadly nothing in Finnish thus far.

http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... zcode.html

(Drakmagi is a cool game though.)
From splendour he fell through arrogance to contempt for all things save himself, a spirit wasteful and pitiless...

Rabs

Re: Text-based adventure games in Finnish

Post by Rabs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:15 pm

:thumbsup: Jukka

I haven't managed to reap the full benefits yet but the links are great! :beer_yum:

:thumbsup: