Creaky voice - cool or dysphonial ?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike

Creaky voice - cool or dysphonial ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

buldozr

Re: Creaky voice - cool or dysphonial ?

Post by buldozr » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:02 am

I thought "creaky voice" refers to how alcoholics often speak here.

Last time I heard it was, sadly, in the cinema: some trashy mom few seats from us argued with her kid so that the entire hall could hear. Some people know no shame.

Gwrhyr

Post by Gwrhyr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:52 am

This subject is fascinating to me and in researching creaky voice I found out that it is used in my own native dialect/regional variety of English. I'm originally from Oregon in the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S. and I found this interesting article and audio bit about the Pacific Northwest accent of English, which includes two examples of Pacific Northwest women using creaky voice (in native English): http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=9198. The audio is here: http://www.kuow.org/mp3low/mp3/News/050722_accent.mp3.

I immediately recognized the creaky voice the women used now that I know what creaky voice is, but I must say that while I recognize that way of speaking, I never thought of it as anything specifically different or noteworthy before. I don't know how the situation is in Finland with creaky voice but in the Pacific Northwest people are doing this without knowing that they're doing it, i.e. they're not doing it to try to be cool, it's just developing on it's own, so to speak. It's interesting to hear that creaky voice is more prevalent in women than men in both languages.

So I suppose there is a place for creaky voice in English, even if it sounds bad to speakers of any English variety outside of the Pacific Northwest.

Tuonelan Joutsen

Post by Tuonelan Joutsen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:05 am

Yeah, I've definitely heard creaky voice here in the eastern U.S., too. I don't think I've ever noticed it in Finnish, though. Granted, I have very little experience listening to spoken Finnish, but the phonation thing that really stands out to me is breathy voice.