Random questions

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Phineas

Random questions

Post by Phineas » Thu May 09, 2013 3:01 am

1. When listening to Finnish, I seldom catch the elongated double vowels. I only know that they're
there if I'm reading along. Are Finnish speakers really supposed to double the vowel length?

2. Are there languages with elaborate declension systems in which the noun is declined
but the adjective is not?

Random questions

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jahasjahas

Re: Random questions

Post by jahasjahas » Thu May 09, 2013 11:54 am

Phineas wrote:1. When listening to Finnish, I seldom catch the elongated double vowels. I only know that they're
there if I'm reading along. Are Finnish speakers really supposed to double the vowel length?
I was going to say "Not necessarily double, just a bit longer.", but then I checked this data, which seems to indicate that a double vowel is about twice as long as the corresponding single vowel. However, as we can see, the absolute lengths are very much dependent on the context where the word is said: even a double vowel won't be that long when used in an actual sentence as opposed to saying it on its own.

My suggestion: practice. (Maybe someone else can suggest something more specific.)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Phineas wrote: 2. Are there languages with elaborate declension systems in which the noun is declined
but the adjective is not?
I vaguely remember that in Hungarian adjectives are declined only for number (sing. vs. pl.) but not for case. The case declension system for nouns and verbs is painfully elaborate. I might be wrong though, it is over 10 years since I studied survival Hungarian.

Phineas

Post by Phineas » Sun May 19, 2013 6:38 pm

jahasjahas wrote:I was going to say "Not necessarily double, just a bit longer.", but then I checked this data, which seems to indicate that a double vowel is about twice as long as the corresponding single vowel. However, as we can see, the absolute lengths are very much dependent on the context where the word is said: even a double vowel won't be that long when used in an actual sentence as opposed to saying it on its own.

My suggestion: practice. (Maybe someone else can suggest something more specific.)
Thanks for those enlightening data, and for the suggestion. I'll just have to practice and try to listen more carefully.
Rosamunda wrote:I vaguely remember that in Hungarian adjectives are declined only for number (sing. vs. pl.) but not for case. The case declension system for nouns and verbs is painfully elaborate. I might be wrong though, it is over 10 years since I studied survival Hungarian.
Thank you Rosamunda. I asked about the adjective-noun agreement (ANA) after discussing the matter with some people
in an Esperanto forum. Nobody questions ANA in natural languages like Russian and Finnish, but in a constructed language
like Esperanto, it strikes many people (especially the native English speakers) as a design flaw, or at least as an unnecessary
complication. That got me thinking about the issue. Zamenoff, the inventor of Esperanto, certainly had his reasons (redundancy,
consistency, etc.) for retaining ANA, but they never seemed like especially good reasons to me. But ANA seems to be a near-universal
feature of heavily declined languages, so there must be something naturally appealing about it. It is interesting that case agreement
disappeared from Hungarian, but number agreement did not.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun May 19, 2013 10:08 pm

This thread has Atari written all over it!

Phineas

Post by Phineas » Mon May 20, 2013 4:19 pm

What, or who, is Atari?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon May 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Phineas wrote:What, or who, is Atari?
Atari, poliisin rekisterissä nimitys ammatti- ja taparikolliselle.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:35 pm

You know Atari , the other disposable function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari