Finnish-language Songs on iTunes

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
jrslv

Post by jrslv » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:13 am

Hi all!

I am trying to teach myself Finnish, which would be my 4th language. Some time ago, I came across, completely by chance, a Finnish singer by name Jasmine who represented Finland in one of Eurovision contests (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vql4pLruyA). Besides the fact that it's a beautiful song, which I just can't get enough of, she articulates every sound so clearly - I can really discern every syllable and already recognize many words.

I could only find one album of this artist on iTunes and have been listening to it non-stop for a couple months, but It's kinda getting old. So, I was wondering if anybody could recommend me a similar Finnish singer - somebody with simple melodic tunes and a clear voice?

Thanks in advance,
Jaroslav
Last edited by jrslv on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jahasjahas

Re: Finnish-language Songs on iTunes

Post by jahasjahas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:07 pm

In don't have any particular suggestions, but you could go through the following threads/lists and see if you find anything interesting:

jrslv

Post by jrslv » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:02 am

I found something I like: Kuunkuiskaajat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ernyj7T-vOE and they are on iTunes. It's gonna last me for a couple of months.

It's amazing how Finnish folk songs sound just like Russian ones. On the second thought, it shouldn't be surprising given that probably half of the Russian people come from the Finno-Ugric genetic stock.

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:49 am

Kuunkuiskaajat was the Finnish contestant in the Eurovision Song Contest 2010, but they didn't make it to the finals. (We should have chosen Eläkeläiset's Hulluna humpasta, which was in the top three at the Finnish finals - it wouldn't have won either, but at least it was interesting.)

I'm pretty sure musical traditions are more related to cultural contact than genetics :lol:

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:08 pm

jahasjahas wrote: I'm pretty sure musical traditions are more related to cultural contact than genetics :lol:
I have to agree, who can tell what was russian and finnish and what influenced what. I doubt genetics have much to do with music or customs in broad way of sense. It can influence someway but i doubt it when we are so close.

Lets say simple song or "way to sing" or "way to dance" what is common in both sides and its old as metusalem. Is it finnish or russian? who knows. Constant exchange of ideas have been more than norm in our 1000+ km common border and that border is new thing when we look at history. Thats of course until russia became USSR and tried to annihilate finland but that 70 years of time is short when we think that we inhabited this northern cold place 10 000 years ago.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Offtopic but ripaska is something totally russian.

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:35 pm

Offtopic again but some "spins" in that video made me though of dervish but videos about them shows only slowly rotating man....
I always thought dervish spin was fast :/
I really hoped my imagination would be right :(

jrslv

Post by jrslv » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:03 am

jahasjahas wrote:I'm pretty sure musical traditions are more related to cultural contact than genetics :lol:
Keeping off-topic :) Of course it's not genetics, but the question is who was influenced by whom. For me, Finland is some sort of a cultural island stuck at the farthest corner of Europe. Russians had no influence in Finland till the early 19th century and even then their influence was very limited. If think that Finnish folklore culture, if we take away the Swedish influence, could be a good approximation of what it had been in the "Russian North" before the Slavs moved in. And as they were moving in, they adopted many of the local customs and hence the similarities.

Sami-Is-Boss

Post by Sami-Is-Boss » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:13 am

What do you like? Here are some bands from various genres that all sing in Finnish

Pop/folk - Scandinavian Music Group

Rock/punk - PMMP (very, very good)

Rap - Asa, Fintelligens

Reggae - Raappana

COuntry (almost) - Irwin Goodman

EDIT - didn't read the post. Excellent. Have a listen to the above anyway though!

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:27 pm

jrslv wrote:For me, Finland is some sort of a cultural island stuck at the farthest corner of Europe. Russians had no influence in Finland till the early 19th century and even then their influence was very limited.
Even if we ignore hundreds of years of trade and wars between Finns and Russians (I don't think we should), I think true Russian "influence" already began in the early 18th century, when Sweden lost "Old Finland" to Russia.

---

For some on-topic content, here's J. Karjalainen's hit from last year: Mennyt mies. His lyrics should be pretty easy to understand.

colin61

Post by colin61 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:17 pm

I am a big fan of Johanna Kurkela.