New to learning the Finnish language (and this group)

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
kalmisto

A Finnish course that I like

Post by kalmisto » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:57 pm

Chris

Here is a very good language course for you:
http://virtuoosi.pkky.fi/vilma/Suomenki ... riaali.htm

Check out the exercises ( Harjoitukset ) !

The course has two levels : Taso 1 and Taso2

This course is not meant for absolute beginners. You need to learn a little Finnish first but not much.

A Finnish course that I like

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

chris

Post by chris » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:00 pm

Kiitos Kalmisto & everyone you have all been very helpful, now if only someone could come up with a suomi pill ?

I shall be quiet for now as there is just so much information to absorb and forms to complete (not to mention the day job).

Thank you all again, all your help has been very valuable.

Kiitos.
Chris

chris

Post by chris » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:00 pm

Kiitos Kalmisto & everyone you have all been very helpful, now if only someone could come up with a suomi pill ?

I shall be quiet for now as there is just so much information to absorb and forms to complete (not to mention the day job).

Thank you all again, all your help has been very valuable.

Kiitos.
Chris

Kemars

Re: New to learning the Finnish language (and this group)

Post by Kemars » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:29 am

Caroline wrote:
chris wrote:I am looking for a basic group for newbies to Finnish which requires everything to be written in Suomi. (Sanni is getting quite tired of being a teacher :) ) I have never learned another language before, but thought that constructing sentences in Finnish would be helpful with grammar as an aide to my learning. Any thoughts? or suggestions of sites etc? Thanks in advance.
It was also hard for me to feel comfortable speaking Finnish with my husband at first, because his English is so good that it was just easier to have conversations in English. I knew enough Finnish, but understanding and speaking are not the same thing.

I finally told him to keep talking to me in Finnish, regardless of whether I answer in English or Finnish. We now still speak more English than Finnish, but the awkwardness is for the most part gone when we have a conversation in Finnish.

I personally don't think that the "target-language-only" time designated each day works very well (we tried that), because then you might become conditioned to think of the sessions as contrived lessons rather than as normal daily family life. But if you try that and it works, definitely use it.

I am co-authoring a Finnish grammar reference book with a native speaker, and we will need guinea pigs to test out the format and see if the method works. The manuscript isn't done yet; I will announce here when it is complete, but if you'd like to see what we've done so far, contact me at [email protected] .

Good luck!
Hey Caroline.

I am at that stage as well with Hanna. She will usually pick a random day during the week / weekend, and from the time she wakes up until we go to sleep, is only Finnish that comes from her mouth. (there are times when she will repeat herself several times until I get what she is saying.. :oops: )

I would be interested in this as well, if you are looking for more "guinea pigs "?
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?