Learning finnish

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Oripassos

Learning finnish

Post by Oripassos » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:29 pm

Hey!

I'm learning finnish close to 3 weeks, my basic is great, and now I need to complete sentences and try to talk, And it's kinda hard for me!
help? :(

Learning finnish

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

AldenG

Re: Learning finnish

Post by AldenG » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 am

Where you are now, trying to put sentences together by combining words you have learned will do you more harm than good.

As Hyyrynen says, you need to be reading and listening, then imitating and trying to change what you hear or read.

Find correct examples and practice them. At all costs avoid practicing sentences that are wrong, i.e. those you try to construct from your own logic or from "rules" you think you have learned about cases. (It's always about cases.) There are no (well, very few) real rules for construction -- there are only explanations of why people say things the way they say them. Study the phrases and sentences people actually say.

Examples, not rules.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Oripassos

Post by Oripassos » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Oh thank you guys!
I'm still studying and practising!
I'm doing well for now, I think!

Rauta

Post by Rauta » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:56 am

I as-well am learning finnish on my own there are a few websites that help but again all just words not grammar. It would be nice to have a study partner and learn together! If you are interested, send me a privet message and we can try to meet up for coffee to study.

california_weary

Post by california_weary » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:15 am

I have 4 different iOs apps I use during downtime to start building a vocabulary. I have checked out this FinnishPod101 site online but have only completed a few of the free lessons. It's okay but not great. Same with the ios apps. They are fun and I can always find time to do them several times a day. At lunch, while having coffeee, work breaks, i the bathtub, etc, etc. They aren't state of the art language instruction. AT ALL. But day after day I am building a vocabulary. I also have the Karlsson grammar book for when !"#¤% just really does not make any sense at all. Which is often.

I was in Helskinki and surrounds in August and found it super hard to use the little vocabulary I have. I just always chicken out when I see the look of pain on the poor Finns face as I strugle thru a basic phrase when we both know they are perfectly capable of just hearing and answering in English.

I'll be back in January for a couple weeks and I have sworn to myself I will be braver. Plus I'll have three more months of study behind me. It's insanely hard. That's no exaggeration. I studied in Joensuu for 6 months as an undergrad and at Helsingin Yliopisto for a school term in graduate school and never learned Finnish. Now some years later, I really want to move the family over there so I have to just do it. Hard work but a cool language and wonderful people you will get to connect to in a whole different way. It's worth it. But I feel your pain. I think insanely hard work is the only way to do it.

Looks like you are already over there so its a much more urgent issue for you. I have myself on a three year plan for language/job/etc. So I can enjoy myself with the learning. But I still practice a little every single day.

If there is some fantastic Finnish language software I am unaware of please speak up.

Keravalainen

Post by Keravalainen » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi!
Whenever you are in Helsinki, you should utlize the free language cafés arranged by the local library.
At Pasila library, which is very central, there are 2 language cafés meeting every week for practising Finnish.
The Finnish Language Cafe Suoma meets every Wednesday at 2 P.M. in the library.

There's another one - with just about the same people participating - Finnish Language Café Ekstra meeting at the same place
on Mondays at 2 PM.

You don't need to enroll, just turn up, join and enjoy.
Here's a listing of other Finnish Language Cafés in Helsinki region.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/kielikah ... 5337749615