Help with translation

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Nykyki

Help with translation

Post by Nykyki » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi everyone,

Could someone please help me with some Finnish phrases from a work contract? What do they mean?

- määräaikaisuuden perusteena
- sijaistettava on työstävapautettuna
- professorin ala

Thank you in advance.

Help with translation

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ml14

Re: Help with translation

Post by ml14 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:10 am

Nykyki wrote:Hi everyone,

Could someone please help me with some Finnish phrases from a work contract? What do they mean?

I can't tell for sure what these phrases mean without seeing more of the context. The first one might mean "as a basis for the timeline", and the second could mean "the person who is being filled-in for is freed from working".
- professorin ala
"the professor's field", i.e. his area of specialization.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:33 am

Nykyki wrote:Hi everyone,

- professorin ala

Thank you in advance.

määräaikaisuuden perusteena: (as) grounds/reason for the fixed-term status, e.g. the reason that a person's employment or sabattical or filling-in or some-such has a set duration rather than being open-ended.

sijaistettava on työstävapautettuna: sijaistettava is the person for whom a replacement will be filling in, acting as sijainen, the person to be sijaistettu; työstävapautettuna describes the sijaistettava person as (in a state of being) freed from work duties, his position, i.e. "on leave."

And of course as ml14 explained, professorin ala is the professor's subject area.

The words in question are määrä/aikaisuus ("fixed-duration-ness"), peruste (grounds, reason), sijaistaa (to stand in, substitute), and vapauttaa (to free or emancipate). If you subtract -na (essive ending) from the end, you can find the word forms on their respective Wiktionary pages by doing a Ctrl+F to "find on page."

But knowing that sijaistettava is called "present passive participle" (which finding it in Wiktionary will tell you) is of questionable usefulness. Understanding the very small handful of meanings that -ettava has in the language, however, is as good as gold.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

ml14

Post by ml14 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:03 am

AldenG wrote:määräaikaisuuden perusteena: (as) grounds/reason for the fixed-term status, e.g. the reason that a person's employment or sabattical or filling-in or some-such has a set duration rather than being open-ended.
Ah, I wasn't sure whether määräaikaisuus meant simply the fact of having a definite timeline (määräaika), or whether it also meant the timeline itself.

The first seems like the more reasonable option (at least in retrospect), but I was reminded of words such as directionality in English: e.g. the directionality of the ball doesn't mean simply mean the fact that the ball is going in a direction, but also refers to the direction itself.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:11 am

I actually didn't notice you had translated all 3. At a glance I saw "can't tell for sure" and "timeline" and then the bottom sentence. I didn't mean to step on your translation when you already had about 2-1/2 out of 3. Just needed some distraction after a day full of PHP. Sloppy skimming comes from my opening 15 tabs in a political blog and then looking for the high points. I'm actually pretty good at that, but obviously one does miss a great deal.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:16 am

Now for "sabattical" I have no good excuse.

Sabbatical.

Nykyki

Post by Nykyki » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Yes, it makes a lot more sense to me now.
I can't believe I got an answer. It's the first time I am posting on a forum. Thank you, thank you, kind people!

And one more question please. What is ansioturva?

Post by 007 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Nykyki wrote:What is ansioturva?
Ansioturva as I understand is ansiopäiväraha (Earnings-related Unemployment Allowance).

From http://www.kela.fi/web/en/unemployment
Earnings-related Unemployment Allowance is claimed from your unemployment fund. It is available to members of an unemployment fund only and can be paid for up to 500 days. For more information about the earnings-related Unemployment Allowance, see the website of the Federation of Unemployment Funds in Finland or contact your unemployment fund.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"