Very expensive cars,what do you think?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.

Do you that cheaper cars will have a good impact among finns?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:50 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 22

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:06 am

a bon-voyage from the purser's office:
"But my travel agent never told me!!!" :lol:

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

paulrenn

Post by paulrenn » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:13 pm

watsonwatson wrote:Beam me up Scotty!

Protectionism involves putting high indirect taxes on products that are not made locally. Think about it.
I don't see what Star Trek has to do with this.

Products not made locally...hmmm...but what does the word protectionism mean? To protect the same type of products made locally! Of which, there are none. That's my point.
Paul

agn71

Post by agn71 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:23 pm

paulrenn wrote:but what does the word protectionism mean?
protectionism
the actions of a government to help its country's trade or industry by taxing goods bought from other countries
Last edited by agn71 on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:28 pm

READ THE BLOODY WIKIPEDIA LINK :evil: You're talking of two things.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

bevanrl

Post by bevanrl » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:27 am

Cars are really expensive because the government believes that people should travel around by public transport and one way to achieve this is to make cars really expensive so that people travel by the cheaper option. To a brit it's amazing that a block of flats like my girlfriend lives in in Lauttasaari with 16x 35sq m flats only has a total of about 4 cars between them. In UK that would be more like 20-25 cars for the block.

The flaw in the curent way to force people to use public transport is that
a) people end up driving really old cars that pollute and lead to more serious injuries when people crash them (and so higher health care costs)
b) people living in really remote areas pay the same punitive tax on cars even though they have no viable public transport option.

I don't think the govt cares about point A and finns are not really ones to aspire to new cars anyway- they're happy to drive some old toyota or honda tin box. The govt also seems quite happy that it's tax policy means that people buy mostly japanese instead of european cars.

Point B could be solved by road pricing instead of high car tax. You pay for the miles you drive - higher prices in rush hours and on busy roads. I think they plan this eventually for Helsinki. Whether they then make cars as cheap as say sweden when they do that is another matter. If so then all existing car owners suddenly lose a small fortune because their car gets 50% wiped off it's second hand value.

Look on the good side - if you can afford a car in Finland then the roads are much emptier than they would be if cars were cheap.