What to Wear in Winter

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Rincewind

What to Wear in Winter

Post by Rincewind » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:56 pm

:shock:I am visiting lapland in December and then on to Lappeenranta for Christmas. :lol: The question is: I have never experiencied a white christmas and originate from a warm climate. What the hell do I need to stay warm. I have the woman, the recipe for Gluggi ( spelling requires some work) and a lot of summer clothing. Any advice would be appreciated. :oops:

When you are cool, calm and collected while all around you panic, perhaps you do not understand the situation.

What to Wear in Winter

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:01 pm

I suggest a ski jacket (big coat) with a fleece jacket underneath, then a regular jumper (although if you feel cold easily a wool one would be better). T shirt under that. Wool hat. Ski gloves. 2 pairs of trousers may be necessary. Maybe some tracksuit pants underneath your regular pants. Waterproof shoes. Thick socks (maybe 2 pairs). That should cover you for -30 (I've not experienced colder than that).

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:17 am

olly wrote:Maybe some tracksuit pants underneath your regular pants.
I dont have any tracksuit pants myself is that something they only have in Manchester, put them under your y-fronts do you? ;-)

Rincewind, as you seem to be coming from very warm climates you should most definitely wrap up warm. However remember that inside houses and shops it is absolutely roasting so it is useful to be able to take layers off.

Best of luck

Tony

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:27 am

:lol: Thanks for help. The temperature change will be about 50 degrees celcius. Should be an experience. I have a fleece hat, gloves and really good jacket. Will look for the pants next. I will be in Helsinki for a few days first. Where would be the best place to acquire some of the warmer items i would need? 8)
When you are cool, calm and collected while all around you panic, perhaps you do not understand the situation.

daive

Post by daive » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:22 am

Rincewind wrote::lol: Thanks for help. The temperature change will be about 50 degrees celcius. Should be an experience. I have a fleece hat, gloves and really good jacket. Will look for the pants next. I will be in Helsinki for a few days first. Where would be the best place to acquire some of the warmer items i would need? 8)
Rukka do some very good thermal longjohns. It took me a while to overcome the stigma of wearing thermal undderwear but it is something that you cannot live without. The coldest I have been in here is -33C in Jyvaskyla and there aint anything that keeps that sort of cold out, just stay in bed when it gets that cold!

Enjoy.

anja

Post by anja » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:42 am

I think it's always a good idea to wear layers of clothing: it's the absolutely warmest way (with natural fibers, cotton, wool, silk), and easy if you need to spend time indoors inbetween walks in the cold weather, because then you can easily peel off shirts and pants that you don't need. There was a time when I had to walk to my office for 3 kilometers back and forth every day when I lived in Central Finland, and always during the coldest winter, underneath the thick skiing jacket and pants I had a cotton or even a wool long-sleeve outfit, and a sweater with some regular semiformal outfit on top ..or combined. By the time I had walked to the office, I had a white frost coating all over my scarf-covered face :shock: , but although I must have looked like a snow woman, I didn't feel cold.

So get yourself a good general (skiing?) outfit (for example Catmando, Rukka, RaiSki, Peak, etc..) and then underneath that: layers, layers, layers! (preferably cotton right on your skin, wool is uncomfortable!!) And don't forget a good hat and gloves, as well as to always protect your facial skin from the freezing wind and dry, cold weather. Windy conditions make a regular cold day many, many times worse in real life. Clothes too tight are a BAD idea! :wink:
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:29 am

tjawatts wrote:I dont have any tracksuit pants myself
Jogging pants? Like when you have a clollege shirt, and matching pants. Actually that'd be an excellent idea, a hooded college sweater, and one of those thick ones.

Carhartt I know has lined blue jeans, that should do the trick.

Here in Finland you just need to get your ass to 'Tarjoustalo' and get your longjohns.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

anja

Post by anja » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:39 am

Rincewind wrote::lol: Thanks for help. The temperature change will be about 50 degrees celcius. Should be an experience. I have a fleece hat, gloves and really good jacket. Will look for the pants next. I will be in Helsinki for a few days first. Where would be the best place to acquire some of the warmer items i would need? 8)
http://www.intersport.fi/

http://www.topsport.fi/

http://www.stadium.fi/

and even some supermarkets, such as Prisma, K-Citymarket, etc.. You can make great finds at the sales, especially an entire skiing outfit can be way too expensive if bought during the skiing season. :wink:
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:54 am

tjawatts wrote:I dont have any tracksuit pants myself
You probably look like this then mate :wink:

What else would you wear when exercising?

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:13 pm

I am such a huge believer in the power of silk long underpants I think it should be mandatory for everyone to own a pair for the winter. It's just as warm as the cotton type and a LOT thinner, and it's really really durable, so the quality usually justifies the price. And the neat part is, because they're so thin, you can layer them when it hits -5000 C. I've had a pair that has lasted for three winters and is still going strong.

Also- when you wear the scarf, wrap the scarf REALLY TIGHTLY around your mouth and breathe through the material. If you don't do that, you're gonna get a layer of ice between the scarf and you face! :wink:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:30 pm

My 10 cents worth..
Buy the best you can affrod particularly at the outer layer.
Quality Ski clothes (Jacket and Outer trousers)...I know they are expensive but Gortexs or one of their competitive equivalents, breathing water proof materials, are well worth the investment.
Not just because they keep out wind and snow better but because they dry so much quicker.
There are many cheap fashion quilted jackets and trousers which are just next to useless in for instance sleet or wet snow conditions. They soak up the water and need to be hung up for hours to dry..they do not smell very nice while drying, and the padding starts to go stiff and rots after a couple of wearings.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:57 pm

olly wrote:
What else would you wear when exercising?
Tracksuit trousers! DOH!

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:13 pm

tjawatts wrote:Tracksuit trousers! DOH!
Well whatever mate :roll: Trousers and pants mean the same thing to me.

MinnaRaisanen

missing..

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:13 am

One thing missing from all this helpful advice (or then I'm just blind!) are the woolies!!! YOU NEED WOOL SOCKS!! Get yourself down to the Tori and buy some or employ someone you know who can knit and get them to make you some WOOL SOCKS!

I HATE being cold and wouldn't know where I'd be without my woolies in the wintertime. They keep my tootsies warm and dry when the Helsinki winter slaps us with that lovely stuff called 'slush'!!!

I am from a country where we have hard winters so I am very much used to dressing for the weather. Fleece is a lovely companion on a cold day!! I have stopped caring what I look like when it's cold out and just pile on the layers and make sure I'm warm! I may look like a freak, but I don't care. I just keep extra shoes and stuff at work and change there.

kultary

Post by kultary » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:10 am

Wool Socks and Long Johns are absolute musts.