Bringing baby buggy on plane

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Wed May 31, 2006 2:28 pm

We're flying to Oulu/Rovaniemi on Blue 1 with our two month old next week. Another first - wish us luck! :D

I checked with Customer Service if I could bring the buggy into the plane as hand-luggage and was told that I could if it measured less than 115cm and weighed less than 8kg. Another alternative is to wheel buggy right up to the plane and it will be sent to cargo.

We have a Quinny Buzz which has a carrycot and it isn't the typical lightweight travel stroller or collapsible umbrella stroller which I've seen most people use at airports.

I really don't want to put the buggy into cargo as it's new and I don't want it damaged. :roll: At the same time, I can't count on the fact that I'll be allowed to bring it in as hand luggage even though it's within the permissible measurements.

The other alternative is to leave buggy home and borrow a buggy when we're in Oulu and Rovaniemi.

Sorry, I'm rambling............!!!!! :oops: :?

Anyhow, anyone with any good suggestions?

Cobwebs in my brains.........
Shazzer - the mom on call 24/7

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Wed May 31, 2006 2:38 pm

Blue one is not a big aircraft...the luggage space is very limited...
Depending of the time of your flight it is often full to/from Oulu...
I am flying quite often there..
e.g Next Monday and it is sure to be packed...but mid week it is not so full.
If you are flying Monday or Friday or early morning 7-9 or early evening..3 - 5 I fear that buggy will get put into the hold...
If it gets damaged you can always make a claim ...
Good luck...
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

jakub

Post by jakub » Wed May 31, 2006 3:18 pm

Yep,
Last week they put our stroller into the hold on blue1 when my wife went with it directly to the plane....

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Wed May 31, 2006 4:02 pm

As a back up plan- take your sling just incase you have to put the stroller in the cargo bit. There is nothing worse than trying to juggle a screaming baby, passports, tickets etc.

If you want any more flying tips just ask- Sophie is about to take her 21st flight next week- not bad in 14 months!

The best bit of advice is to feed on take off and landing to stop their ears from hurting.

Have fun

Hannah and jet set Sophie

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Wed May 31, 2006 5:25 pm

Thanks guys - looks like a high probability the buggy would end up in cargo :cry:

So, I'm thinking of not bringing the buggy altogether. Anyone in Oulu or Rovaniemi with a spare/old buggy for a two month old to lend us while we're there next week?

We'll be in Oulu from Wednesday to Saturday (June 7-10). We'll be staying with relatives right downtown behind Stockmann.

Rovaniemi from Saturday to Wednesday (June 10-14).

So, anyone who can spare a buggy even for a day or two, I'll be eternally grateful!! :rose:

Hannah - I'll definitely bring along the sling! At what age did Sophie start her jet-setting lifestyle? :D We asked at the Neuvola if two months was too young but nurse said it was fine. We're doing a baby-meets-the-family trip to the North. Meeting great-grandparents and the whole clan! It'll be a riot.... :P

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Wed May 31, 2006 5:47 pm

Sophie's first flight was a 5 weeks old to London- she slept most of the way there.

Ask if the flight is full before asking for an extra seat! In that order it makes it easier for them to give you a free seat for the baby.

If he doesn't want to feed then offer a tutti (if he has one).

Hannah

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Wed May 31, 2006 6:36 pm

>> If he doesn't want to feed then offer a tutti (if he has one). <<

Tutti Frutti :wink:
http://makemyday.free.fr/tutfrut.htm

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:31 am

Hi,

I can't offer a buggy since I need it for our little girl, almost 4 months now but I've noticed that it's possible to rent items from the shop Baby Style in Oulu.

They are advertising a buggy/pram for 9 euros/week.

http://www.babystyle.fi/vuokrauspalvelu.htm

Enjoy your trip,
Julie.

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:15 pm

Julie - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :rose: (doing a happy jig!!) :D

I called up Baby Style just now and reserved a buggy for next week. This is really great!

If anyone has any similar info of such a shop in Rovaniemi, just drop me a line. Baby Style does not have an outlet in Rovaniemi.

Krisztina

Post by Krisztina » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:59 pm

Shazzer wrote:f anyone has any similar info of such a shop in Rovaniemi, just drop me a line. Baby Style does not have an outlet in Rovaniemi.
try MLL!
http://lapinpiiri.mll.fi/tuotemyynti_ja ... _hinnasto/

Shazzer

Post by Shazzer » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:49 am

Thank you Krisztina!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I'm all set!!

Thanks guys, this has been a great help! :rose: