daycare regulations

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Londonchris

daycare regulations

Post by Londonchris » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 am

Hi,
Anyone know how long kids should be playing outside during a full day at playschool?
I think there is a limit of -15 in the winter when they don´t go out (who wants to anyway), but what about when it´s boiling hot?
I´d like to know what are the rules and regulations that playschools should be following.
Thanks in advance.

daycare regulations

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:51 pm

Probably best to call your local municipal office. Responsibility for päiväkoti is decentralised to the municpalities. I think they issue guidelines but not strict rules. Some things (even the "too cold to play outside" rule) are left to the discretion of the playschool directors. After all, it can be it foul day windy, damp and driving sleet with barely -10 degs. But -15 on a dry and crisp, sunny day is wonderful.

WestAussie

Post by WestAussie » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:15 pm

Boiling hot? In Finland? Are you serious? What sort of temperature is classed as boiling hot?

EP

Post by EP » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:12 pm

I think there is a limit of -15 in the winter when they don´t go out (who wants to anyway),
Eh, the kids themselves usually want to. Didn´t you see last winter on those few days when it went down almost to -30°. Not an adult in sight, but toddlers sliding downhill in their "pulkkas".

And like said, it is never boiling hot in Finland.

Chiugate

Post by Chiugate » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:59 pm

It was 31 degrees in Tampere two days ago.... That is hot!

karen

Post by karen » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:10 pm

That's not hot, it's pleasant. I'm currently surviving in 41 degree temperatures. We even go outside!

WestAussie

Post by WestAussie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:57 am

Ok, I'll concede that 31 is hot, but it's not boiling hot. :D

Irbe

Post by Irbe » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Chiugate wrote:It was 31 degrees in Tampere two days ago.... That is hot!
Really? Wow! Anyhow, indoors is probably hotter on the days like that. Especially if the building is a bit older and air condition bad. I would mind if I heard my children been inside the whole sunny and warm day...

Londonchris

Post by Londonchris » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:50 pm

Ok,
I guess it depends on what your used to as to what you call HOT,most brits would say anything from +25 is boiling enough :!:
As kids don´t get that running around in the sun for hours is a very good idea it´s up to the grown ups to take the responsibility for dehydration and sunburn.
Not that brit holidaymakers are the best at this :lol:
One playground of a toddler school near us has no shade whatso ever,and just wondered if the staff actually worry about things like this or are they just glad to be in the sun.
Yeah i guess i moan it´s too hot,cold,wet,windy,snowy,icy whatever.
Least it doesn´t cost anything.
As for anything +40... that must be lay down and die weather :!:

WestAussie

Post by WestAussie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:28 pm

As for anything +40... that must be lay down and die weather
Better not come to Australia for a holiday in the summer. :lol:

EP

Post by EP » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:38 pm

As kids don´t get that running around in the sun for hours is a very good idea it´s up to the grown ups to take the responsibility for dehydration and sunburn.
Actually I think that running around in sun for hours is an excellent idea. A hat to cover the head, and clothes on --> no sunburn. And children know to ask something to drink when they are thirsty. Really.