Nordic citizen and Non-EU citizen

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Modesty

Post by Modesty » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:28 am

Hej,
I am Danish and my partner is South-African. We are about to move to Finland. In order for my partner to get a visa/permit based on me - we have to prove we are a common-law couple.

We are currently living outside the EU, where there are no registration of people - so we can not prove that we have the same address.

Does anybody know what is required to prove our relationship?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

AnaBanana

Post by AnaBanana » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:05 pm

Hi! My brazilian friend was in the same situation when he moved here with his girlfriend. Back then (2 years ago), they requested 2 letters from "prominents citzens" attesting that they were a couple and had been living together for 2 years. Who decides who's a prominent citzen? Well, I guess noboby. I wrote one letter and the other was written by the girl,s father!
ImageImage

OliBlom

Post by OliBlom » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:35 pm

AnaBanana wrote:Hi! My brazilian friend was in the same situation when he moved here with his girlfriend. Back then (2 years ago), they requested 2 letters from "prominents citzens" attesting that they were a couple and had been living together for 2 years. Who decides who's a prominent citzen? Well, I guess noboby. I wrote one letter and the other was written by the girl,s father!
And did it work?
There is no such thing as a weird human being. It's just that some require more understanding than others.

AnaBanana

Post by AnaBanana » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:16 pm

OliBlom wrote:
AnaBanana wrote:Hi! My brazilian friend was in the same situation when he moved here with his girlfriend. Back then (2 years ago), they requested 2 letters from "prominents citzens" attesting that they were a couple and had been living together for 2 years. Who decides who's a prominent citzen? Well, I guess noboby. I wrote one letter and the other was written by the girl,s father!
And did it work?
If it hadn't work I wouldn't tell the story here, would I? :roll:

Yes, it worked. Back them it was necessary to apply to the visa from the home country (or something like that), nowadays I heard people can apply for thevisa in Finland and wait for the decision here.
ImageImage

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:31 pm

Well, I'd say the quickest way to deal with the ambiguity is to get married.

Danish = Nordic = almost equal since 1956... But I am not 100% sure Finnish immigration would parallell nordic=finn even in other cases it is equal...

Though getting married with non-EU and non-Nordic in Denmark they have a harder time moving to Denmark I'd say...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Modesty

Marriage only because of the Finnish Police?

Post by Modesty » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:34 am

I think is is much to get married because of the police - we have now survived for a couple of years with no problems here on the other side of the world :D
We will visit Finland just before Xmas - and ask the police what they think .... but letters sounds good - out neighbour is a lawyer with a very good title :lol:

Naf9

Post by Naf9 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Well "Hej",

I can not really help you with your question, except I know that in Denmark they would require proof that you lived on the same adress for something like two years.

I am also Danish national and my husband is Cameroonian. I moved here to escape the strict, strict Danish immigration laws. I got a job in Finland and moved with our daugther. Now we are about to get res. permit for my husband.

Which kind of visa are you going for? Maybe we can give each other ideas...
:D

fss

Post by fss » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:57 pm

Hi Modesty,

Well to prove you are common-law partners (spouse-de-facto) you can do several ways

1. You are living together - tenancy agreement under both of your names (or letter proving you live together), actually I think you have to live together

2. Economical "partnership"
Joined bank account
Joined Utility Bills
Insurances together
etc.

3. Sosial "partnership"
- Your friends and family think you as a unit (i.e. letter written by your friends,might be needed to approve letter by )
- cards & letters send to both of you
- Photos together
- Travelling together
etc.

as you can imagine better you prove your relationship, more quarantied the visa will be

As a principle you are showing that your relationship will fill following requirement: Relationship is one where you and your partner are in a spouse-like relationship and you have a mutual commitment to a shared life together to the exclusion of all others.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi everyone, sorry to breathe life into an old thread, but I just wanted to tell you guys how happy I was to find this forum thread and the info within.

My situation is a bit different from the ones discussed in the thread, and my problem a bit of a luxury problem, but still.

The thing is that I will be moving to Helsinki this fall and will be paid by a EU grant to H University. In addition to my salary I will be getting a "mobility allowance", a sum that seeks to compensate for keeping double households etc, in case you leave your family behind when you come to Finland. The thing is that you need to "be married or considered equivalent to married according to the government in the country you will be working in". Since I am not married but in a long-term relationship, I REALLY want to make sure I still get that sum of money. We will be having two household etc, so it will really be needed.

So I have been doing a frantic search for what the Finnish government actually considers "proof" of a near-marriage-relationship. I have papers from the Swedish version of magistratti (obs, spelling is probably WAY off) showing cohabitation for 2 years, but is that enough?
As usual, bureaucrats will not give you any answers (they do not know them or do not want to be held responsable for saying something that is not correct). The tips you gave the people planning to apply for visas to Finland will be useful for this means as well I think.

Thanks for keeping this forum so useful.

/eeinarsdottir

daryl

Post by daryl » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:13 pm

Just a few comments on this thread.

1) Marriages entered into for the purpose of securing immigration clearance are not recognised for that purpose. The advice "you should get married" in the context of immigration clearance amounts to encouraging immigration fraud.

2) Not all couples can get married. This depends on the jurisdiction of residence.

3) There is a prima facie assumption in public administration that a concerned party is telling the truth. The consistent statements of the couple already constitute basic evidence in this sense, and if no contrary evidence is found, then this basic evidence decides the question.

As in any administrative claim, it is up to the authority to investigate the facts of the matter. The authority cannot simply ignore the applicant's assertion, but is free to try to disprove it, so expect to be interviewed and asked questions (subject to the right to privacy). The assertion cannot be disproved if it is true, and the authority is not at liberty to disbelieve an assertion without proper evidence to the contrary (i.e. asserting that "this applicant has shifty eyes" is not proper evidence). The authority may request such further evidence as exists, but an absence of evidence proves nothing and certainly does not disprove the applicant's assertion.

If a public authority requests documentation that does not exist or that cannot be obtained without unreasonable difficulty, then the proper response is to tell the authority that the applicant has no reasonable way of providing this documentation. The authority is then free to explore other avenues for securing the information in question, or it may drop the matter.

The concerned party's opinion must be sought regarding any evidence that the authority uncovers independently, and that tends to oppose the application. This "right to be heard" is one of the most fundamental principles of administrative law.

daryl
Wo ai Zhong-guo ren

Idefix

Post by Idefix » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:33 pm

For residence permits an "apartment rental contract or similar document" is regarded as sufficient.

(In Swedish:)
http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/content.asp?p ... anguage=SV