Puuhamaa Theme Park: Pleasantly Surprised and Even Impressed

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:29 pm

Ok, so I'm a jaded theme park person since I come from the most competitive theme park market in the world: Los Angeles. So when my sister in law suggested Puuhamaa, an amusement park an hour's drive outside of Helsinki (before Hameenlinna), I ungratiously allowed myself to be dragged there with my 3 year old.

From the commercials, I expected a warmed over Tivoli full of banged up rides and slimey green water. But I found the exact opposite - it's a really great place!

It looks as if nearly everything had been renovated or refurbished within the last few years. The water park is especially nice and modern with plenty of flumes, slides, water jets, and other attractions to keep the kids happy all afternoon. There was also plenty of room to spread out in the patio areas surrounding the pool, though bringing some extra lounge chairs wouldn't be amiss. They were just finishing the construction work on the water areas when we were there - some of the patio bricking in one corner was just being finished and one part of an old water slide was being taken down.

And there's a LOT more to do there than the water park.

There are 3-4 different types of little boats (motorized or paddle, swan, frog, miniboat, etc. ) to try - each with their own water route next to the lake.

There's an 18 hold miniature golf course that looks very new and pleasant.

There are 5-6 huge bouncy tents, each segregated into age groups to protect the little one. There is also two HUGE inflated mounds, also age segregated, that are really fun to bounce atop.

There are 4-5 different huge slides, one large enough to go down with a raft, the others large enough with mats or just clothing. There's also a large inflated kiddy slide under the big slides - nice for the little ones.

There are several vehicle courses - go kart, golf cart, offroad 3-wheeled bikes. They are great fun.

There's the train that putters *sloooowwly* around the large area. There are also a few amusement park rides (2-3 at most).

There's a really really cool "tarzan's course" set of interconnected jungle gyms. These are great for all ages (3-18), with nets to climb up, poles to scale, swings to cross, rock wall scaling, many slides to go down, etc. This course is in excellent condition and everything works perfectly. Nice enough that *I* wanted to go through it.

There are also several play areas with jungle gym equipment you won't find anywhere else. A lot of hand-constructed high quality items such as a 10 seater swing. Also a large sand play area.

There's an area with ground level trampolines - about 15 or so. These are good for 1-2 kids at a time.

There's an enclosed/indoor maze and play area, two stories high - full of winding mirrored or see-through walls. There's also a large three-level tower with pneumatic ball shooters on the sides (and lots of netting for protection, natch). The boys love that area.

They have a brand new buffet building. The buffet is 10e for adults, less for children, and kids under 3 eat free. It's all you can eat, and includes pizza, nakkis, curry chicken, french fries, etc. There's also dessert and drinks included in that 10e

But if you want something different, you can bring your own food and lounge equipment - they have carts at the entrance that you can rent for a 2e deposit to carry around your junk (cooler, swim gear, etc.) and often the kids as well. So bring your picnic food, nakkis, etc. Next to the lake are several large grills and picnic benches.

Admission is 17e per person, which includes parking. Children under 3 get in free.

Although kids 6-15 will get the most use out of the park, my 3 year old *loved* it. She's a very physical kid and wanted to try everything. I don't know that children under 3 who are shyer or less physical/hesitant will find it as fun, though.

Here's the park's webpage: http://www.puuhamaa.fi/eng/ which includes driving directions.

Here are pics that give a good idea of the fun at this place:

My 3 year old LOVED this bounce mound (she's in yellow)

The far corner of the water park - kiddy pool #1

My 3 year old goes on the large water slide

One small part of the jungle gym course

Her first mini golf!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

karen

Post by karen » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:46 pm

That looks like a lot of fun, Andrea. Thanks for the review.

Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:09 pm

I can't imagine Reino wouldn't love it there. Definitely a lot to do!