Baby Björn

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Shazzer

Baby Björn

Post by Shazzer » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:35 pm

I would like to find out from those of you who own a Baby Björn carrier how long did you use it for? I just noticed on our Baby Björn Original Carrier, it states that the max load is up till 10kg. Our three month old weighs 6.5kg so am wondering how much longer do I have with this harness.

I was of the impression that I could use it till the baby is around 1 year old but I find that it's already rather tight for our three month old! Especially around the legs. Do Baby Björn carriers come in different sizes?

What about cloth slings? Up till what age do you usually carry your baby in it?

Any other Baby Björn/ baby products you highly recommend? I'm especially interested in different seats available for a three month old and onwards product as I find that our baby is either lying on his back or then I'm carrying him in a sitting position when we're at home. I've tried putting him on his tummy but he doesn't seem to like that and I can't leave him in that position for long.

Baby is now able to push himself with his legs backwards for quite a distance while lying down and I've found him move from one end of his cot to the other. He's also now able to push himself out of his baby gym on the floor - so not so safe anymore to leave him free and unsupervised. What to do?

Thanks all!

Baby Björn

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:05 am

So many carriers, where to start!!! try http://www.thebabywearer.com site. I use it ever so often for advice! I used a BB with ds1 till I discovered the wrap (kantoliina in Finnish), I have a Didymos, & the Mei Tai (neliö or Lifter in Finnish sites I believe. A sling (rengasliina) is probably the easiest & also good for bf in, hiding the boobs!! A good place to get 2nd hand carriers is http://www.huuto.net There are so many sites I could tell you about, giving detailed instructions. PM me if you want!
Byeee zzzzzzzzzzzz

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:09 am

forgot to say, BB really makes your shoulders ache. Sell it, usually in demand for newborns anyway! Try the others & although a bit difficult the first time or so, nothing makes your back hurt like a BB!

The Bumbo is a strange looking but wonderful seat thingy from UK, used from when baby can hold their head up. Will try & find link for you...

annB

Post by annB » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:24 am

Take a look at what's for sale in Sweden

http://www.slinngsisters.com

annB

Post by annB » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:26 am

Take a look at what's for this Swedish site

http://www.slingsisters.com/

Londonchris

Post by Londonchris » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:17 am

Ww were given one of those baby björn harness things and have to say that since our two lads were (and still are) such lumps it wasn´t used more than 5 times total,mainly because they went over 10kg in next to no time and partly because a 7 or 8 kg baby gets heavy enough to carry anyway!
Would´nt bother with the expense of getting anything new,i´m sure there are loads of hardly used baby things about.
We gave our harness away for free.

kinim7

Post by kinim7 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:10 pm

we got BB carrier for r baby when he was around 5mths old (was flying to india so needed it for airport and so on)
honestly didn't use it much...barely 3-4 times

and last fornight while we were leaving for a holiday to vienna, thought of putting our now 8.5kg baby into it and make life a bit easier...
but whoooooop! the baby felt much more heavier than its weight in it and we didn't take it with us then... stroller seemed to be a better idea and it helped greatly there...
i honestly feel its not of that great a sense to burn 80euros on it... but again it depends on how much one's usage is of the product...

so think b4 u go ahead to buy it!!

enk

Post by enk » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:22 pm

We actually used this a lot with our kids, who were born as whopping large babies, but then slowed down a bit on when gaining weight.
When we were still new parents and had the time and energy (sorry for
the cynical tone), we used to go out walking every evening with the
baby in it. We also used it a lot when we were blasted tired from
our colicky firstborn and didn't want to take the chance of dropping
the kid so we would use the BB and sway back and forth with him in
it (and it worked).

Since then, we've had two more kids, the BB has travelled through
a load of countries and been passed on and used by at least 8 more
babies (I do not have the slightest idea where our BB is anymore;
that was the last count I heard), so I think we ended up getting our
money's worth out of it (which was nowhere near 80 euros :o).

Our kids ended up walking long before they reached the 11 kg weight
limit, so I can't say what it would feel like to haul one of them around
in it at that weight.

I wasn't sure from your post, but if you have one that has leg straps on it,
they shouldn't be used once the baby is over 4.5 kg as they're just for
the smallest bambini.

-enk

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:52 pm

We used our Baby Björn quite a bit when Sophie was first born. Whenever we flew as well we used to take the BB as our tank of a buggy couldn't be taken to the gate. It has come in really handy at times, like when we went to the World Athletics Champs. I have used it occaisionally recently (when ill and clingy) and even though she is 78cm tall and 9.5kg it is still relatively comfortable, but not as comfortable as our great back pack carrier for her!

Hannah

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:02 pm

scoobymcdoo wrote:even though she is 78cm tall and 9.5kg it is still relatively comfortable
Did you take her off before you ran the marathon?
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:09 pm

neil wrote:
scoobymcdoo wrote:even though she is 78cm tall and 9.5kg it is still relatively comfortable
Did you take her off before you ran the marathon?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope so...
But what shall it profit a people if they satisfy all material desires, but leave for their children nothing, only a wasteland.

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:28 pm

:D
I thought the added weight would make it far more worth while and challenging!

Hannah

PS She was in the backpack on her dad!

RA

Post by RA » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:21 pm

We have a BB and we used it like 5 times only. It was a bit too tight especially with her winter clothes. The weight limit was 9 kg and she was already 9.4 kg at her 9 month check-up. I find my cloth sling much more useful 'coz I can spread out the weight over my shoulders (the BB straps really dig into my shoulders) and also she love being carried in it, and you can use it until however long the baby's comfortable being carried and however long you can bear the weight. Now she's walking and running around, she doesn't want to be carried as much, there's sooo many more exiting things to look at and explore. The only thing with the sling is that in this hot weather, it's really hot for the baby... I've let her be in her diaper only when I've carried her in it.

P.S. Shazzer, I've mailed you
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal