Nordic walking in Finland and long distance footpath E6

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
janez_cernilec

Post by janez_cernilec » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:57 am

I engage with the Nordic walking already one year. I want to ask you some questions about nordic walking in Finland. Is nordic walking popular recreation in Finland? Are people using technique of Nordic walking? Are they only walking with poles? Which age groups Nordic walk? Do you have organised marches in nordic walking?

I would want to ask about European long distance footpaths E6 in Finland. Is it well marked? Is it popular in Finland?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

littlefrank

Post by littlefrank » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

EP

Post by EP » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:36 pm

It is popular. The whole thing is a Finnish invention, it started already something like 15-20 years ago. First it was laughed at, and only old women did it. Now 30% of women and 10% of men do it. Men still think it is a little silly (which it is not) and not enough macho. Typical age group is middle aged and older. And yes, people use the technique.

There are also organized marches. And some travel agencies organize walking trips, like the one where people walk The Great Wall of China.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:44 pm

EP wrote: Men still think it is a little silly (which it is not)

Indeed, its big silly.
Typical age group is middle aged and older.
Thats just because the dementia hit and they forgot their skis home. :lol:
There are also organized marches.
Suomen Latu has a list of organized events the most interesting might be the Summer Night March
Last edited by Hank W. on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:50 pm

EP wrote:It is popular. The whole thing is a Finnish invention, it started already something like 15-20 years ago. First it was laughed at, and only old women did it. Now 30% of women and 10% of men do it. Men still think it is a little silly (which it is not) and not enough macho.
Now when was it... already back in the late 70's I believe... when Uuno Turhapuro took up walking about the kesämökki grounds with skiing sticks... (though his motives were not all that sporty, he had filled them with booze and this was his chance to have a swig or two in secret, away from the watchful eyes of his wife...) Can't remember which movie it was, but he was a true pioneer.

Hmm that gives me an idea... :wink:

janez_cernilec

Video site about the nordic walking technique

Post by janez_cernilec » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:00 am

You can watch the some videos about the nordic walking if you click here.

smoo

Post by smoo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:41 pm

I must admit to a general puzzlement as to why anyone would think that poles are a sensible accompanyment to anything other than (possibly) skiing. Having been bipedal for the past 2 million years human being seem to be under strong pressure to reverse this trend and "nordicise" everything from walking to inline skating with the addition of silly metal arm extensions that slow them down at best and flail around tripping everyone else up at worst. I fully expect to see the emergence of "nordic jogging" and "nordic cycling", the latter involving steering and braking with your teeth and the inevitable hilarious consequences of accidentally sticking a pole between the spokes... :D

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:47 pm

Actually skating with the poles is an old invention, though the rullasukset were a bit cumbersome. Inline skates are more like the "skate style" vs. "traditional" in skiing...

And poles have been used in ice skating for ages, on sea ice..
Cheers, Hank W.

smoo

Post by smoo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Could help but find this amusing (from the above linked site):

Checklist for uphill technique:
1. Change the length of the stride
2. Intensify the arm/leg movement
3. Lean slightly forward as one unit

Checklist for downhill technique:
1. Lower the center of gravity
2. Shorten the stride
3. Lean slightly backwards
4. Keep the poles behind you
5. The heel strikes first and foot rolls

In other words, do what you would normally do if you were walking briskly up or down a hill except: (4.) Don't trip over the poles...!!

Sorry, I'm in a contrary mood today and this seemed like an easy target. I have nothing against nordic walkers and I'm sure it's a very good form of exercise.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:58 pm

Yeah, but the site is made on the assumption that an average person is without a brain to think. Then again some excersizes like weight lifting do need proper instruction, so its 50/60.

Why so grumpy, its only Friday, spring in the air and doggie-doo allover...
Cheers, Hank W.

smoo

Post by smoo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:16 pm

Why so grumpy, its only Friday, spring in the air and doggie-doo allover...
Not grumpy really, just contary. And I feel better now! :D

And the spring thing is good. As we're on the sports page I can mention that I took the heavy studded Nokians of the bike this morning, put on the 1.3inch slicks, pumped them up to 85psi and positively flew into work this morning, birds twittering and hands almost not freezing... Pity the forecast looks like snow again...

raamv

Post by raamv » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:24 am

Nordic walking is for Nordic natives...Not for some dumb *ss D**nk non-native Finn to insult em..
So what was your question again?
and why is your question not in Nordic? :wink: :roll: :twisted:

smoo

Post by smoo » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Nordic walking is for Nordic natives.
Not so at all, it's been heavily exported, as might have been apparent from the original post. "Nordic blading" (inline skating) is popular in Germany and the Netherlands and is catching on in the U.S. I believe, and "nordic" forms of hillwalking (i.e. with poles) have been becoming increasingly popular in my native Scotland for a number of years. My disapproval (which I admit has a slight element of half-serious irrational conservatism) is based on my extensive involvement in these activities. I'm sure poles are a very good idea for skiing, long distance skating and other such genuinely "Nordic" activities (and they do help preserve the knees in hill walking if you have problems there), and wouldn't suggest otherwise (not seriously at least :wink: )

Who's the dumb *ss D**nk insulter? I think you got the wrong end of the bendy aluminium spiky thing...
and why is your question not in Nordic?
Err, perhaps because the origin of the thread and the link were Slovenian?

smoo

Post by smoo » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Oops, I'm thinking now that I may have been lightly trolled... :oops:

I still stick by my point. Poles are for vaulters, and people who pay good money for things like this..

Osteve

Re: Nordic walking in Finland and long distance footpath E6

Post by Osteve » Thu May 15, 2008 6:23 pm

First it was only old women did it. still think it is a little silly. Typical age group is middle aged and older, walking about the grounds with, other than skiing. everything from walking to inline skating with the addition of silly metal arm extensions that slow them down