Any Good Suggestion for Learning Finnish

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Anita

Post by Anita » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:14 am

:!:
I want to study in Finland. I'll choose the courses taught in English. But by the way, for easy living, I also want to learn the local language. I'd very appreciate if someone would give me some good advice.
:D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Megstertex

Post by Megstertex » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:10 pm

Not sure what motivates you, but the trick for me with learning any language, seems to be that you have to want to learn it and admire the people, and by want to learn it, that also includes wanting to talk to and become closer to the culture that that language inhabits.

So, for Finland, you need to mostly be in love with all things Finnish and really want to speak to Finns, (not always easily approachable or talkative until you get to know them), to be motivated to go through the grammar (5 courses at Helsingin Yliopisto) before you can take a conversation course, (actually, you may only have to pass 3 before the C.C.). I would recommend Arbis, where the courses are more geared towards the rewarding and every day social side of language, spoken language.

But that's just me. If you do your homework ahead of time, you won't struggle as much with the grammar, and won't be as disappointed if your expectations have to be adjusted--they shouldn't be the same as with other languages.
Megs

Karibu

Post by Karibu » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:35 pm

My wife is studying Finnish here and she says it is very good quality teaching. A course costs 135 €.
Long days and pleasant nights

Megstertex

Post by Megstertex » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Yes, that is where I spent 3 courses, when I first came.

Arbis is subsidized by the state, and is 25 euros per course, and you get an actual textbook. It is behind the National Museum.

Arbis homepage: http://www.hel2.fi/arbis/ENGLISH/index.htm[/url]
Megs

vincebel

Post by vincebel » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:15 pm

As i said in another topic this book is great.

Leila White
FromStart to Finnish, A short course in finnish
Finn lectura editions

Also in my town (Kokkola) I found finnish lessons for three months and i have to pay only 25 euros for 2 hours per week. this a government stuff for foreigners but everyone can go. (for example there is one finnish guy who comes to learn english because the lessons are given in english and finnish)

Its called (in Kokkola dunno about the other towns) 1201101 SUOMEN KIELEN ALKEISKURSSI but i think its a course belonging to a polytechnic school where the courses are given in english

hope it can help you

Anita

Thanks!

Post by Anita » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:41 am

Karibu wrote:My wife is studying Finnish here and she says it is very good quality teaching. A course costs 135 €.
Thanks... is that difficult for her? And may I know what you and your wife's mother language is? To be honest, English is not quite difficult for me although I'm still not perfect on that. Some of my friends from Scandinavia told me Finnish is not easy to learn. So I want to prepare myself in advance.

Anita

:)

Post by Anita » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:46 am

Megstertex wrote:Yes, that is where I spent 3 courses, when I first came.

Arbis is subsidized by the state, and is 25 euros per course, and you get an actual textbook. It is behind the National Museum.

Arbis homepage: http://www.hel2.fi/arbis/ENGLISH/index.htm[/url]
Thanks so much....That's really helpful... I'm also trying to buy some materials about Finnish language and get start ASAP. Actually, I really want to find a Finnish guy in Beijing who would help me on this. I mean we can exchange language or else he or she would be my private teacher.

Anita

:)

Post by Anita » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:51 am

vincebel wrote:As i said in another topic this book is great.

Leila White
FromStart to Finnish, A short course in finnish
Finn lectura editions

Also in my town (Kokkola) I found finnish lessons for three months and i have to pay only 25 euros for 2 hours per week. this a government stuff for foreigners but everyone can go. (for example there is one finnish guy who comes to learn english because the lessons are given in english and finnish)

Its called (in Kokkola dunno about the other towns) 1201101 SUOMEN KIELEN ALKEISKURSSI but i think its a course belonging to a polytechnic school where the courses are given in english

hope it can help you
Thanks for your great advice. It depends which city I'll go. There are many good university in Finland. Helsinki is my first choice. Because I really desire to learn the major as Economics and Administration there. Besides, i'm still thinking about.