Work for a spanish in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Spanishark

Post by Spanishark » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:25 am

Hello, my name is Jose, and I am from Spain. I was in Finland for almost 6 months studying with the Erasmus grant, and since I come back to Spain (last June) I only want to go back there to work.
I have been thinking in what kind of jobs I could work in and, although I am open to all kind of propositions, I have thought that this kind of works are easier to find, because maybe I don’t need so much to speak in Finnish in them, since my level in this language is very, very low.
Here I put my possible options of work and I ask you some questions that I hope u can answer if it is possible for you:

- Somebody told me that a lot of Spanish tourists go to Lapland, to the sky resorts. (Do you know if they usually hire Spanish workers there? Where can I get the email account or the direction of that ski resorts to send them mails or letters with my CV?)

- Besides, I have finished my career this year, and now I am graduated in tourism by the University of Almería, so I could work in some hotel, or anything related to the tourism (Where can I get the email account or the direction of some hotels, in order to send them CVs too?)

- I know there are a lot of Finnish people who love the Spanish language, so I could work teaching Spanish, but speaking with them in English, of course (where could I find academies, or people who are looking for Spanish teachers?)

- But I have thought in other option: Working like au pair, and I could also teach Spanish to the family or even how to play guitar, why not? (which is the most important website for au pair in Finland?)

- And my last option is some voluntary service project. (I am not very informed about this, I just listened of a young man who did it in Finland, I think they work with handicapped people, or something like that)

Ok, the last is not a question :) , but I would like some information about the rest of them, because as you see I have a lot of options and I am a bit missed and I don´t know what to do or where to go. Kiitos palion! :D ,

Jose

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Nordisch

Post by Nordisch » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:42 am

As far as finding a job questions go, you merely have to look for proposals in the two main websites to find work in Finland, either the EURES Network or MOL and browse through the offers listed. I reckon to have seen some for hotels in Lappi and native spanish speakers not long ago.

As for the au pair job, I think that a finnish family is hardly seeking a spanish person teaching them kids aged below 10 a foreign language or a musical instrument, as they're beggining to receive the basic education around that age group. But you can try those sort of jobs too, just don't expect anything over 300€ per month and you'b be depending on your host family for many things. It's more of a half-kidding job for teenagers, actually.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:46 am

With your education targeting the tourist industry might be a good option. Your lack of Finnish however will reduce your chances. You not only need to communicate with the tourists, but also with al kind of Finnish companies, co-workers etc. to arrange things for your guests.

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:07 pm

Spanishark

Here is a job application ( in English ) for employment at Lapland Hotels :
http://www.laplandhotels.com/?deptid=8151

The job application says nothing about Finnish skills.

Notice "preferred area" and the choices ! : Levi, Ylläs, Rovaniemi, Olos, Pallas, Hetta, Kilpisjärvi

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:40 pm

I'd agree with rinso; the Lapland tourism is your target. Once you get a bit more Finnish and get "networked" you can then hook up with some of the "migratory birds" that do the seasonal trip and get yourself established somewhere. But yes, I am afraid you need to ask your mom to knit you cashmere underwear ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Spanishark

Post by Spanishark » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:44 pm

Hello everyone!

Nordich, I have a problem with MOL, and it is that i don´t understand finnish and the website doesnt have option for english.
After 2 weeks sending about 60 covering letters with their belonging CV to Lapland (enterprises i found in internet: hotels, ski resorts, safaris, etc...) i have got only 4 answers and in the 4 they told me in a very polite way that they dont need me, what can i do???, I dont know what else doing!!, why is it so difficult to find a job in finland? :cry:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:51 pm

Spanishark wrote:why is it so difficult to find a job in finland?
Vida es. ;)

Though 4 answers out of 60 is an amazingly good reply rate.

Have you tried through eures? The english adverts trickle through to here, but you just need to learn the search factors of MOL and some tricks to get the adverts, searching 'the' for example.
Cheers, Hank W.

EP

Post by EP » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:53 pm

Do I remember right or is it just my imagination, but wasn´t there last winter talk about some Spanish operators who are building a Spanish hotel somewhere in Lapland.

How about finding out who are the Spanish travel agencies who arrange trips to Finland (groups)? Because they are there somewhere (in Spain).

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:43 pm

EP wrote:Do I remember right or is it just my imagination, but wasn´t there last winter talk about some Spanish operators who are building a Spanish hotel somewhere in Lapland.
Unless they've gone bankrupt :twisted: there should at least be a cabin village somewhere up there.
Cheers, Hank W.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:56 pm

Hank W. wrote:
Spanishark wrote:why is it so difficult to find a job in finland?
Vida es. ;)

Though 4 answers out of 60 is an amazingly good reply rate.
It's because you're a foreigner. They prefer Fins if they can get them.
You have to find the place that really needs someone with fluent Spanish. That takes time.
And 4 replies is indeed above average.

Spanishark

Post by Spanishark » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:35 am

So I have to feel fortunate becouse 4 answers of 60 are a lot!! Ok!! hehehe.
EP, I think it´s a good idea to find out who are the spanish travel agencies which arrange that trips, i´ll look for them, thank you!

sammy

Re: Work for a spanish in Finland

Post by sammy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:36 pm

Spanishark wrote:- And my last option is some voluntary service project. (I am not very informed about this, I just listened of a young man who did it in Finland, I think they work with handicapped people, or something like that)
One option could be the "Youth in Action" EVS programme (Servicio voluntario europeo), you'll need to apply through the Spanish national agency...

http://www.injuve.mtas.es/injuve/portal.portal.action

See also... http://www.programajuventud.mtas.es/

There might be some other alternatives re: voluntary service but this EVS could well be the "easiest" way. Have a look at this page for example: http://www.myevs.net/index.php

Spanishark

Post by Spanishark » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:25 pm

Thank you Sammi for your reply with that websites, I have sent many more CVs to hotels and ski resorts and other enterprises i found in MOL, so i think i will try now with this, my last option: Voluntary service, not the best option, but at least once i am in finland maybe it´s easier to find one...