They´re sending me an English CHEQUE

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:48 pm

oompah18 wrote: The only reason I am in this financial mess is, because I gave up a lucrative, taxfree job in the Middle East when I was single, to marry a Finn, & become a kotiäiti in Finland
Proves your mom was right telling to watch that direct sunlight... reflecting off a blonde... :lol:

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: They´re sending me an English CHEQUE

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:21 am

oompah18 wrote: Don´t someone tell me I have to pay tax on it here too, or something.....
I don't know if capital income is taxed at source in the UK (in France non-residents are taxed at source for capital gains) but if the tax is levied directly by the investment fund then keep the paperwork so you can credit that tax against the amount due to the Finnish vero (you shouldn't pay tax twice on the same income within the EU). I think your Finnish bank will automagically inform vero of the cross-border credit transaction to your account but I don't know if there is actually a threshold for the tax people to take any action. Certainly vero contacted us after the proceeds from the sale of our house in France came through to our Finnish bank (but it took them several months).

In your position I would definitely have cashed the cheque into a UK bank account (you don't have to be resident to have one), paid off all my £ debts and then transferred the rest back to Finland in €. Changing the £ into € and then back again into £ is kind of crazy. Just my 2 cents worth.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks Penelope, I hadn´t even thought about tax too :roll: I just can´t open a UK account as I don´t have a UK address & haven´t had one for over 10 years! I tried to open a HSBC account in Wokingham when I was staying with my family after leaving Bahrain after many years working their & my bank in Bahrain was HSBC too. Well, there was I in Wokingham branch holding a rather big HSBC cheque from my Bahrain employer, but in pounds of course, & HSBC UK refused to open me an account as I didn´t have a UK address. Screeeeeeeeeeeam! I can´t think of any way I can open a Uk account with this cheque I will receive (eventually) without actually living there, please give me any ideas!
Cheers,
Allie
Allie the Britmum, "äiti" to 3 boys, 10,9 and 7, & little princess, 4.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:00 pm

I don't know the UK banks very well but I am sure there have been threads from Brits in Finland on this forum who have bank accounts in the UK. Not very helpful but Wokingham is probably not the best place to try (way too provincial :wink: ) ... you need a High Street bank in the centre of Reading or even Oxford. Or have you tried any internet banks? But I cannot believe that the issuer is incapable of doing an IBAN transfer. Just go back to them and call their bluff (say you cannot cash a cheque in Finland, even if it ain't true). You can get your IBAN number from your Finnish bank (mine appears on every bank statement I receive from Nordea).

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:36 pm

Thanks, I have learnt a lot from this forum, will keep you all updated re any more disasters etc!
Allie

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:43 pm

OK, I found this online banking site:
http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=fees
does anyone understand this, I am as usual, a little confused! Do you think it would work if, once I receive this #### cheque, I send it to mum in UK, who deposits cheque into this account in UK, then I transfer some money from this account to mum´s account, then she pays my credit card! Then I transfer the remaining money to my bank acc here, & voila!........ or maybe not! erm, advice, do you think this is safe?
Allie (sooooooooo desperate!) :oops:

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:55 pm

oompah18 wrote:I send it to mum in UK, who deposits cheque into this account in UK,
I couldn't see anything on that website which indicated they accept cheques. As far as I can see they only deal with electronic transactions.

Did you see something about cheques on there?

BTW, although they are a UK registered limited company with an "office" in London it is extremely unlikely that anyone actually works there.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Yeah, I did see it mention cheques, but to be honest now, I think I will just forget about it all, just wait for the cheque to arrive here, give it to Osuuspankki, pay the handling fee, currency exchange fee & get my stupid UK credit card paid off forever. THEN spend the rest of it on a Balitc relaxation spa hol for me (alone) & trip to UK with hubby & kids.
On second thoughts, trip to UK first, THEN the relaxation trip! :lol: