R-kioski hires old people and immigrants

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:46 am

R-kioski has announced they're encouraging immigrants who are able to communicate in Finnish as well as over-50 crowd to make job applications. They want people with the right "service attitude" (I guess the snotty teenagers are too snotty). So, one company publicly denouncing (age)racism. A good start.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Megstertex

Post by Megstertex » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:13 am

Wow. That almost makes me want to actually learn Finnish, instead of pretending to (not making much progress), if only to be able to say, thumbs up, R-kioski.

There is plenty of growth potential in the area of SERVICE. Which is what makes R-kioski ahead of the curve with this looking towards immigrants, and the old folks to fill that niche.

Nice, thanks for posting! :wink:
Megs

richard berman

Post by richard berman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:45 am

I say good on R-kioski, they do need help with their customer service the lady in my local always looks pissed off that I only want to buy 5 lines on the weekend lotto, and her face gets really bad if I ask her to check some of my old tickets,
Last edited by richard berman on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Web hosting from 8€ a month http://www.Oxterweb.net

cwcnow

Post by cwcnow » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Good for them! Hopefully more companies will follow their example. I've always thought it was a shame that people older than 50 can't get 'some' type of job here if they need one.

jackieng

Post by jackieng » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:09 pm

You'll see some senior folks working in the Mcdonald in Singapore

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:13 pm

the only downside of R-kioski chain is, that it's open pretty much the same hours as normal grocery stores, so I rather go to them and save my money...
Get in there...

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:55 pm

mCowboy wrote:the only downside of R-kioski chain is, that it's open pretty much the same hours as normal grocery stores, so I rather go to them and save my money...
Except on sundays....
But what shall it profit a people if they satisfy all material desires, but leave for their children nothing, only a wasteland.

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Jussi wrote:
mCowboy wrote:the only downside of R-kioski chain is, that it's open pretty much the same hours as normal grocery stores, so I rather go to them and save my money...
Except on sundays....
I sleep till noon... :lol:
Get in there...

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:53 pm

Not only the opening hours (Sundays), but it has several disadvantages compared to private kiosks. Just compare their prices!

cwcnow

Post by cwcnow » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:59 pm

jackieng wrote:You'll see some senior folks working in the Mcdonald in Singapore
In the states, Walmart hires seniors and the physically disabled as greeters.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:06 pm

cwcnow wrote: In the states, Walmart hires seniors and the physically disabled as greeters.
Oh, in Finland the hire the mentally disabled as greeters... in restaurants... :twisted:

/get my narikkalappu
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

cwcnow

Post by cwcnow » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Hank W. wrote:
cwcnow wrote: In the states, Walmart hires seniors and the physically disabled as greeters.
Oh, in Finland the hire the mentally disabled as greeters... in restaurants... :twisted:

/get my narikkalappu
:lol: :lol:

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:48 pm

Somehow I read the subject "Finland hires people and immigrants". :wink:

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:05 pm

cwcnow wrote:
jackieng wrote:You'll see some senior folks working in the Mcdonald in Singapore
In the states, Walmart hires seniors and the physically disabled as greeters.
Yes indeed, and Walmart-owned ASDA supermarket in the UK was actively recruiting grey-heads years and years ago. Good on R-Kioski, a new strategy for them :)
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.