Applying for Finnish Master Degree programme

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Lisaa

Post by Lisaa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi all,

Is there anyone knows about applying for International master degree in Finland with Finnish Polytechnic diploma? I have asked some Finnish universities about this issue, some saying i cant apply with finnish polytechnic diploma. I know there are few universities which can accept with that but they need GMAT or GRE except IELTS.

So right now i'm looking for the Finnish universities who can accept Finnish polytechnic Bachlor with IELTS language test. And I also have permanent residence permission, is there any special treatment with that for applying in Finland? Thank you for your reading and helps.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sikakoira

Post by Sikakoira » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:27 pm

I'm afraid you just can't apply with the Finnish poly diploma only. AMK's degrees in Finland do not, as such, qualify for further studies at universities. The vocational AMK degrees are not considered university degrees per se in the Finnish system.

Although bachelor's graduates from AMK's cannot enter universities for post-graduate studies leading to Master's degree with their AMK degree alone, it is not necessary to do a full lower university degree - theoretical studies of about about one year are required.

Edit: grammar...
Last edited by Sikakoira on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Wright

Post by Jason Wright » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:23 pm

Sikakoira wrote:I'm afraid you just can't apply with the Finnish poly diploma only. AMK's degrees in Finland do not, as such, qualify for further studies at universities. The vocational AMK degrees are not considered university degrees per se in the Finnish system.

Bachelor's graduates from AMK's cannot enter universities for post-graduate studies leading to Master's degree with their AMK degree alone. Although it is not necessary to do a full lower university degree, theoretical studies of about about one year are required.
I was just at the Helsinki School of Economics this past Friday asking about their Masters program's admissions policy. HSE said that an AMK Bachelors degrees fulfill the undergraduate degree requirement and to take the GMAT to be considered for admission.

So I think that it is up to each specific institution to determine the terms of their graduate program's admission policy. I would check with the specific school you are interested in.

Jason
Last edited by Jason Wright on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Yeah, it pays to check from the institutes' themselves. The admissions criteria needs always to be checked from that years application rules, they change even their "cast in stone" rules.

It seems its slightly "easier" or would I say "constantly logical" in the "international" programmes. Maybe because they are newer and made just recently hence the lack of "ballast" of old times.

What sikakoira says still applies for many departments, traditionally (before the universities went two-step for real) depending on the programme you could get X amount of your bachelor degree studies counted "towards" your master's degree. In some departments the X was closer to zero.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sikakoira

Post by Sikakoira » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:32 am

Wow. If what I thought I knew is that outdated, maybe it's about time I should graduate. Damn thesis...

Eledi

i am an MBA student at Uni........

Post by Eledi » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Hello, i graduated from a polytechnic with a Bachelors in Business Admin and was admitted to the University of Vaasa, No GMAT, no IELTS no blablabla,,just my bachelors certificates and statement of purpose..
i,ve heard that the University of Jyvaskyla doesn't have much complications too..so you just have to try,,but looks like all schools in the Helsinki area are as complicated as the place itself is!!!!!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 pm

People want to get into Helsinki University... boonies want people to study there...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Lisaa

Post by Lisaa » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Woo, thank you for your guys. :D