need help regarding entrance exam to Haaga-Helia

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
ndsinister

Post by ndsinister » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:08 am

hi all
I'm new here.
I've got an invitation to the entrance exam which will take place at the end of this month. I'm applying for Business Information Technology.
I realized that the exam is separated into two parts. a written exam and an interview. I'm looking for examples of the written exam or maybe someone can help me about how to prepare and what subjects am I being test of besides english... is there's any maths or something like that?

also i will appreciate any highlights u can give me about the interview.

thank you very much.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Karolina_c

Post by Karolina_c » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:53 am

I´m looking for that too!

ndsinister

Post by ndsinister » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:08 pm

hey Karolina,
are you also going to participate in the exam?

Salli

Post by Salli » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:06 am

wouldn't the best source of information be the institution you're applying to?

ndsinister

Post by ndsinister » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:41 pm

i emailed the admission office but they refered me to the program details page on the web site and it doesnt say much about the entrance exam plus there are no examples from early exams

Sara

Post by Sara » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:53 pm

Well exams are there to test your ability. Read up on what you can and do the exam :wink:

ndsinister

Post by ndsinister » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:26 pm

Sara wrote:Well exams are there to test your ability. Read up on what you can and do the exam :wink:
oh thank u for your wise advice.. i'm sure it will be useful :?
now lets be serious, is there's anyone who can give some details about this entrance exam?

simakun

Post by simakun » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:03 am

you still don't get it do you? if it isn't on their website, then the information is not necessary or intentionally unavailable. live with that.
If you reason don't you know your own preoccupation is where you'll go - Gotta Get Away by The Offspring

ndsinister

Post by ndsinister » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:54 pm

thank you very much for your tips.
the studies start at january 2008.
I applied on september.

Post by 0007 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi,
I did the exam last year at the same school but with a different degree program. Mine was Int'l Business.
In theory exam,there are 2 parts.
1. They will give you a story to read and answer the questions afterwards,they are all multiple choice questions.
2. Its testing your genral knowledge and some simple geometry. I expect it will be more matthematics cos u r going for IT but it is simple and practical geometry and algebra. Practise them. No calculators allowed. They are all multiple choice.
3. In the oral exam,am sure they have sent you the trigger already. ready it and try to find all you can about it. No one is going to ask you anything in the oral part. The teachers will be listening to you and other students discussing it among yourselves. Listen,comment,add,suggest and give your own ideas. Dont be too fast. Study others then go fo it. Dont talk all the time yourself cos i want to see how you listen and understand others. Time is short,i think 15-20 minutes. There will be four of you and you all must speak,listen and come to one conlusion.
Goodluck with the exam.
Take is easy,it is not that hard.
Common sense is your best tool.
Let me know how it goes.
If you want to talk more,call me here

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:45 pm

OK, so it hasn't much changed what it was in 1998 then :lol:

What we call it a "building block test" that is about the same they have in the army... generally an IQ test is part of it... fill in the shapes, continue the numbers... tomato ketchup spaghetti red - which does not belong etc.

We had something silly like writing a short story of a picture... I don't remember if they had the army-serialkiller-test "do you want to be a florist" and "is there an iron band ancasing your head"... same psychobabble questions everywhere.

We had a "group interview" where they assessed our "group dynamics" H-H is very much "project-work-oriented" so I think its to get "orchestra players" v.s. "solist primadonnas".... we had a single interview also to check the "motivation"...

Don't know these days, but don't be surprised if they come and ask for "people who just are applying for the sake of applying and want the stamp they have been here"... its got to do with age and unemployment benefits and people who want somewhere else really, but need to have a "plan B" (hence our motivational interviews back in the day).
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

ndsinister

Post by ndsinister » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:42 pm

thanks a lot guys
so I guess Hank had graduated already and 0007 is still studying, am i right?