i need your help(about the visa for students)

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
bedlinton

Post by bedlinton » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:17 pm

thank you first, no matter who you are :D
i am a student from china. i have applied for visa on september 6, the officer who works in the embassy told me , after 6weeks i could get the visa. however, until now i dont get any information from the directorate of immigration. i called them on october 8th, they told me my visa hasnt been handled by anyone,because there are so many applicants this year, and said i can do nothing but wait.and last week, i called them again,i've got the same answer.
the worst thing is my new term has begun near 2 months, i 'm afraid i cannot catch my class,and the university will dismiss me. :(
would you please help me if anyone of you met this kind of problem or any suggestion for me.
thank you very much :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sammy

Post by sammy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:30 pm

I presume that when you say 'visa' you mean that you have applied for a student residence permit (a "visa" -viisumi in Finnish- only allows you to stay in the country three months)

Anyway, did you enclose proof of a valid insurance in your application...? I.e. was your application complete? The insurance became obligatory for all those non-EU citizens that apply for a student residence permit after 1st Sept 2007. Just asking because in the words of UVI "the processing times are longer if further clarifications are required". They haven't contacted you, asking to submit any missing documents...?

Btw when did you receive your letter of admission from the university...? What with the study application time, and then waiting for the results... plus having to apply for a permit this late, it frankly sounds not too well organised to me since everyone knows when the term starts and students are supposed to be there... :evil:

fishee

Post by fishee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:13 pm

I think I can answer ur question.
The thing is you should know what's going wrong, what's the reason for delay. There must be a reason, find it. I have met some problem before. My experience is gave a call to the consultant of directorate of immigration, who answered the phone first, and then asked for the contact info of the one who was responsible for my case. Note, only this person could give ur a reliable reply. At the same time, pls contact with the embassy, though they always don't know what happens exactly. If possible, ask them to submit your materials again to the directorate.
For the study, unfortunately according to the schedule of most schools in Finland, half of the semester in the autumn has passed so far. However, you can postpone the commencement of your study according to the University Act in Finland. But I strongly recommend you to contact with international office of your school ASAP.
Good luck for you.

Eledi

what i know

Post by Eledi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:28 pm

hello, i don't mean to dissapoint you, but when my sister applied for her first resident permit(she was already in Finland with a tourist visa and she got a school), they sent us a paper that they have received her application and they mentioned that: DO NOT CALL US TO ASK FOR THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION, CALLING MIGHT ONLY SAVE TO DELAY THE PROCESS.......i hope thats not whats happening in your case...(i just don't understand what they expect someone to do in these kinds of situations.......
they also mentioned that the application will take 3 months or more....
another thing, during this year,,my university did mention to our admission letters and other papers (for permit applications), they wrote some message for the visa consulars that incase the student doesn't get a permit by 15th September, then they should not give it at all,the student needs to reapply for the next intake. I hope to God that this is not what is happening to you now...
1. Contact your schools international office ASAP as the advisor above has mentioned to you...ask them about your admission status ..etc...they may be able to help you speed up the application too, and YES,,people have almost finished the first period of the semester, in my university, next monday we start 2nd period of the semester.Try your best, you might be able to join in January.BEST OF LUCK....

mdn

Post by mdn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:37 am

fishee wrote:I think I can answer ur question.
etc

Sorry, but please - reread original message.
"my visa hasnt been handled by anyone"

There is no any reason for delay - there is just no available persons.

There is noone who is responsible for his case.

Profboby

Post by Profboby » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:46 pm

I think you submit your application too late as maybe your school has already started even before you applied, also your application could be incomplete maybe without the health insurance which has in effect from the 1st of setember 2007. so have you contacted your school about your chance of continueing with them this school year maybe the migrations board called the school and they say it is too late for a resumption and because of the large application this year they was no enough time to reply you about your application status. call your school and ask them about your possibility to continue now or to postponed your admission to next semester or next year. wish you all the best.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:09 pm

mdn wrote: There is no any reason for delay - there is just no available persons.
This is due to all the funny people who have the bright idea of abusing the student permit system*). So now while they are inundated with applications they triple-check everything (also due to Schengen) and thus create a backlog. Imagine your email getting spammed to hell. So there is one genuine message in between but you have to read all the 1001 messages before you get to it. I don't know if they've hired new staff, but they're *notoriously* slow. Can't give anything but sympathy.

*)If you meet up one of your countrymen who says they applied in with fake papers, kick him in the ass, its his fault your papers are late.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:42 pm

So why dont you people read the FAQ's posted in the Finnish embassy located in your country? :twisted: :twisted:
They state the "Approximate" processing times..!!
edit: correct spelling