Studing Finnish language in Finland

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
ramin

Post by ramin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Hello
I am very interested in Finland country and finn people.I like a lot to learn finnish language in Finland . I have contacted with several university in Finland for admission in finnish language course but thay said :at first i should registred in one university in one major after that take finnish language course, but i want take admission directly in finnish language course.What should i do now?
Thank you
Ramin

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sara

Post by Sara » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:39 pm

What they said. As far as I know, no university offers Finnish as a course itself unless youre up to the level of a native speaker and wanting and able to study it in depth for years. Everyone else has the option of Finnish as a foreign language.

Perhaps try learning at home, or then look to do another course.

Maybe save up and come do an intensive course at the university one summer.

sammy

Post by sammy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:51 pm

You'll find options for studying the Finnish language here:

http://opintoluotsi.fi/en-GB/Studying_Finnish/

(see the right-hand margin links)

It is not possible, however, to become admitted as a university degree student to study the Finnish language, if one isn't fluent in Finnish already at the time of application.

The Finnish language departments (as well as the other language depts) do not offer any "language courses", it is not what the universities are there for. Studying any language at University is more a question of linguistics, literature research, phonetics, and what have you. So that means you'd need to know Finnish quite well already in order to become a serious applicant for degree programmes like this for example:

http://www.helsinki.fi/hum/skl/english/ ... ulture.htm

The University language centres do offer open-enrollment language courses, but as you have been informed, if you have not been accepted as a degree student in some other subject, you'll need to pay for those courses... and partaking in these open-for-all courses will not make you eligible for degree studies.

An important thing to note is that you wouldn't be eligible for a student residence permit unless your studies in Finland lead to a degree. Short-term language courses that could be an option for you if you're interested in beginners' courses (see link above) would 'only' be available through an ordinary 'tourist visa' (ie max 3 months).