Studying with work permit

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Taaremmas

Post by Taaremmas » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:45 pm

sinikala wrote:
sammy wrote:
sinikala wrote:Also bizzare that both of you consider going to school to be studying. Putting you through secondary education is not the responsibility of the Finnish taxpayer.
I'd disagree a bit here. Agreed, the Finnish taxpayer does not 'owe' these guys anything at all, and in fact I believe they won't be able to get any student benefit from the govt. (?)

But, brushing the financial issues aside for a sec, if someone is motivated enough to go through the numerous hoops of actually finding a realistic study option (secondary education opportunities available in English & for non-residents are very scarce in here) and determined to follow it through -completing lukio is maybe not an 'academic' feat but hard work nevertheless- studying Finnish on the side... then just perhaps he or she kind of... deserves the chance, whether it is the taxpayers' responsibility or not.

Yes, it is a question of money, the lukio placements are not "for free" even if the pupils themselves do not pay for them; but is it merely a question of money? 'Foreign' lukio students, and there aren't/won't be loads of them mind you, are not perhaps currently contributing to the Finnish society, at least not financially. It's likely that they will, though. There's no guarantee of that, but there's no 'guarantee' in a Finn staying in Finland after lukio either.

Just a few thoughts :)
To reply to that in full would take far too much typing, and TBH I don't care enough about the topic to do so...

I will say that I suspect that the guy who moved here and broke his collar bone, has underestimated the challenge faced in relocating, learning a language fluently, but also underestimated how much effort it will take to do what not even all Finns manage to do, which is pass Lukio.

To fail to prepare, is to prepare to fail.

But good luck to him never the less.
Ee, I got a bit heated. Updating later
Last edited by Taaremmas on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:18 pm

On these cold winter evenings theres nothing like bulletin board soup for the soul. ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Taaremmas

Post by Taaremmas » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:30 pm

Hank W. wrote:On these cold winter evenings theres nothing like bulletin board soup for the soul. ;)
Mm, will have to take your word on that :? :P