studying and working

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
vincebel

studying and working

Post by vincebel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:33 am

i plan to do a masters next year but my concern is if its possible to work also, likek 20 hours a week?

does anyone did this before?

studying and working

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:10 am

http://www.uvi.fi

a) Non-EU citizens:

Is a student allowed to work while studying?

Students are permitted to do a limited amount of paid work under a residence permit issued for studies if the work in question is practical training included in the studies or final project work. Part-time employment is also possible, if the working time comes to an average of 25 hours per week at most. There are no limitations on working hours in full-time employment during holidays, specifically the summer and Christmas holidays.

Earnings from part-time work during term-time may be included in the amount of disposable funds required for a residence permit at the discretion of the authorities. This is not, however, possible in the case of a first residence permit.

b) Eu citizens:

Can a student work while studying?

An EU citizen can work while studying in Finland and does not need to acquire a special work permit to do so.

vincebel

Post by vincebel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:53 am

thats good newa as i am belgian citizen but aloso finnish resident. Is there a lmaximum of hours authorized? Can I lose the kela housing benefits? or the student benefits?

For sure my studies are the more important so i will put all my energy in this but i dont think i could manage the living expenses if I dont have a small job.

And because its a master degree by studies compared to the masters studies by research, there is no scholarship.

Also, do people who did that (work and study) manage to do both easily? Did it had an impact on the studies?

thanks

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:28 am

vincebel wrote:thats good newa as i am belgian citizen but aloso finnish resident. Is there a lmaximum of hours authorized? Can I lose the kela housing benefits? or the student benefits?
Ah, okay - so are you already receiving benefits from KELA (opintotuki)?

AFAIK there are no restrictions concerning the amount of time you can spend working (unless the university gives you hard time when you fall asleep on the lectures :wink:) - but your earnings may of course affect the KELA benefits. This is what is says on the KELA pages (let us now read in hushed reverence)
Epistle of St KELA to the Students wrote:How other income affects financial aid?

Income check and exempt amounts (the maximum income you can have and not suffer any reduction in aid)

All grants and taxable income (student financial aid excepted) during the entire calendar year are taken into account. For each month during which you receive study grant or housing supplement, the exempt amount is euro 505, and for each aid-free month euro 1,515. Assuming that you received aid for nine months, you would be allowed to have up to euro 9,090 a year in other income.

The income is not checked when the aid is paid out, so you must make sure not to exceed the annual exempt amount. By cancelling or returning (by the end of March the following year) aid you can raise your exempt amount. The income check is based on taxation data. If you exceed your exempt amount, you will be required to pay back the equivalent amount of study grant and housing supplement plus an increase, as defined in the legislation on financial aid.

Regarding income which you have received before the month in which you started school or after the month in which you graduated: any amount exceeding euro 1,515 per month (averaged over the period) is exempt from the income check.

Financial aid is available also for practical training or a work-study programme that is part of the curriculum. If your monthly pay during the training is euro 505 or more, the study grant is not available, though the loan guarantee and housing supplement are. Even an educational grant or a scholarship from your school, if sufficiently large, may make you ineligible for the study grant.

Educational grants and scholarships intended to subsidise international student exchanges do not count as income.

Students must report all scholarships, educational grants from their school, remuneration for practical training and work-study periods, and income from abroad to the authority granting the financial aid.
So there :wink: In short, it's best to be wary of "earning too much" since otherwise you may get a nasty brown envelope, asking you to pay back some of the benefits.