Naan Bread - Santa Maria

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:13 pm

Nope, but I have made them myself and they were fine (actually very good). I used a breadmaker to make the dough but cooked them on a hot soapstone in the oven.

I agree the Santa Maria ones are really dry and bland.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Karhunkoski

Re: Naan Bread - Santa Maria

Post by Karhunkoski » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:20 pm

ronbladholm wrote: That brand is a continuous disppointment and you get to spend a lot on each try.
Couldn't agree more, we've been boycotting them for some months now and multiple disappointments ..
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

enk

Post by enk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:42 am

penelope wrote:Nope, but I have made them myself and they were fine (actually very good). I used a breadmaker to make the dough but cooked them on a hot soapstone in the oven.
They also seem to work quite well in those weirdo pizza presto
oven thingies.

-enk

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:46 am

K shops carry Pirkka own brand naan breads, which are perhaps a little better than the Santa Maria ones, but as they are cheaper you might consider them to be better value.

Both are edible if you sprinkle them with water and microwave them for 30-40secs.

Am currently sitting in Rajasthan, curries are barely passable, but at 50-60 rupees a time, can´t really complain ... a naan is 10 rupees (€0,15?) roti are 5 rupees a pop ... (€1 = 57rupees at Thomas Cook). Water bottled by Pepsico is 120 rupees for 12x1 litre bottles...

karen

Post by karen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:35 am

I've only tried Santa Maria. I didn't really have any expectations other than
that it wouldn't taste the same as in a restaurant. I sprinkled it with water and
cooked it on the rack in the oven. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever had. We
would probably try it again, but I will look for Pirkka brand next time.

pemmes

Post by pemmes » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:27 pm

penelope wrote:I used a breadmaker to make the dough but cooked them on a hot soapstone in the oven.
Hey that sound interesting - where'd you get that soapstone?

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:09 pm

pemmes wrote:
penelope wrote:I used a breadmaker to make the dough but cooked them on a hot soapstone in the oven.
I use a pizza kivi from Prisma, about 25 euros. Works a treat!
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:59 pm

pemmes wrote:
I've had it for years and years, so can't remember (but IIRC it was from Finland). Saw them in Bauhaus the other day with all the sauna stuff :? I guess you can heat the stone on the top of the sauna oven and then throw on the pizza.

The stone takes at least 30 mins to heat up in a HOT oven, so not worth the gas for just one pizza, but if you are doing a few then it really is worthwhile. If you like a slightly crispy Italian crust, then it's the best.

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:35 am

hmm naan...bread that too frozen!! is best got from Hämeentie!!

pemmes

Post by pemmes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Ok, thank you for the tips Karhunkoski and Penelope.

boltfromheaven

naan bread

Post by boltfromheaven » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:50 pm

The best bet for Naan bread outside of the restaurants are the Indian/African shops in Hakaniemi in Helsinki. In their frozen sections, you will usually find packets of frozen cooked naans. They are the closest you can get to the real thing. I totally agree about SantaMaria. Absolute rubbish, everything they make.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:39 am

Hmmm, even some of the "standard stuff" is rubbish. We bought a huge tub of their oregano, flavour was flat as a pancake, ended up back with the Lidl stuff, which is rather good.