US Student Loans in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:41 pm

Does anyone in the group have experience with receiving/deferring US student loans while studying in Finland. I’ve applied to a Finnish doctoral program (still waiting to hear if I’ve been accepted) and am not sure if I will be able to receive US student assistance or even defer payment on my current student loans. In the US everything hinges on this “school code” if a school has this code, then you can receive student aid and defer student debt. I’ve checked the following:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov

and see some Finnish schools but not others, so I’m not quite sure if all schools in Finland have such a code and are just not listed or just don’t have a code. I’m of course in the process of checking with the school itself, but just thought that someone in this group might be able to share some experience.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeffrey

"Man is a dog's idea of what God should be." ~Holbrook Jackson

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:05 am

I just had my student loans deferred, but on the basis of unemployment. I would check with whoever the company is that has control of your loan (wherever you send the checks).
As far as student aid I can't help.

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:57 pm

I looked into graduate study at a non-US university back in 1995. The rules might be different now, but at that time it was possible to take out Stafford loans while studying abroad, and also to defer student loans.

It would have been a little more complicated, as the foreign universities are not set up to process the loan papers. You have to do all that paperwork yourself. I settled on a US university, and so never actually found out how it works in practice.

Scott

student loan deferment..

Post by Scott » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:08 pm

Hi I'm Scott from Michigan USA, been here 10 months, what drama!!!! After you are accepted at the university give your student loan information to someone in the international office at the school, they will fill in the official parts and send it to the education department in the states. I think that as long as you are taking at least half time in college you can defer payment of your student loans, that's how it went for me at Jyväskylä University. Peace, Scott

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:12 pm

Hi Again, another thing...it seems to me that if you have to pay tuition then you can get financial aid from the states but if the university is free, about 20 universities and polytechnics in Finland, then you can not get financial aid from the states, including student loans....conntact the school you wish to attend they have no doubt had this question before.Peace