Tuition fees look like happening

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:19 am

The Helsingin Sanomat (still in Finnish) says that the MinEdu is planning on a law proposal that would allow tuition fees (at first for an interim 5-year period) for separate masters programmes in foreign languages (=English) with mainly non-EU students, with a preamble that the schools should have scholarship programmes to fund the talented students. Which spells out then that say the Nowheremäki polytechnics would still collect the top quality students... The law is scheduled to be passed in 2009 and to take effect in 2010. the five year period is ti assess what effect do the tuition fees have.

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

userface

Re: Tuition fees look like happening

Post by userface » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:53 pm

I am non-EU but with resident permit already. if I want to study master's in English. DOes that mean I still have to pay?

It sucks.

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:12 pm

userface wrote:I am non-EU but with resident permit already. if I want to study master's in English. DOes that mean I still have to pay?

It sucks.
Are you planning scratch your ass 1,5 years? And no one knows clearly yet what is going to happen. Its on "planning" part.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

userface

Post by userface » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:45 pm

No idiot. I'm working. I just have a plan. Geez... what a moron pretending to be a genius.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:47 pm

I think they would define it per resident vs. nationality... but it depends on the wisdom of government.

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:53 pm

userface wrote:No idiot. I'm working. I just have a plan. Geez... what a moron pretending to be a genius.
Im an idiot? You didnt understand whats is happening even there was clear article.
SOMEONE IS PLANNING TO ASK GOVERMENT TO PUT SOMEKIND OF FEE, thats all info there is.
IT MAY OR MAY NOT COME. be styduing in 2009 and youre safe. comprende?

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:58 pm

userface, this won't be a definite "fee-waiver" for you :wink: (as it still remains to be seen what the NEW suggestion details will be) but the last time the tuition fee question was "on the table" a few years ago, this was part of the suggested higher education law changes:

"Suomen kansalaisia koskevia tämän lain säännöksiä sovelletaan myös henkilöön, joka
Euroopan yhteisön lainsäädännön taikka Euroopan yhteisön ja sen jäsenvaltioiden muun
sopimuspuolen kanssa tekemän sopimuksen nojalla tulee rinnastaa Suomen kansalaiseen.
Muille kuin Suomen kansalaisille korkeakoulututkintoon johtava opetus on maksutonta, jos
henkilö on asunut Suomessa tai muussa Euroopan yhteisön ja sen jäsenvaltioiden muun
sopimuspuolen kanssa tekemän sopimuksen osapuolena olevassa valtiossa vähintään kaksi
vuotta ennen opintojen aloittamista ja asumista Suomessa voidaan pitää luonteeltaan
pysyvänä."

http://www.minedu.fi/export/sites/defau ... df?lang=fi (p. 30)

That says, in a nutshell, that a non-Finnish citizen who has lived in Finland (or another EU country, bla bla) for at least two years before the commencement of the studies, and his/her residence is considered to be of permanent nature... he/she would be exempt from tuition fees.

PERHAPS similar rules will be applied in the new system. Just a hunch. We need to wait and see.

userface

Post by userface » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Thank you sammy. That is the response I was waiting for. Knowledgeable dude with simple and direct answers.

Not some smart-ass bullsh*t. Is he even spanish? geez.

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Knowledgeable .. :D
No one else than ones who are planning know !"#¤% about it.
You can always quess but thats not healthy.

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:22 pm

userface wrote:Thank you sammy. That is the response I was waiting for. Knowledgeable dude with simple and direct answers.
Don't mention it... although most of the time it's simple dude with occasionally knowledgeable answers :wink:

As for the "permanent residency" thingy, in one form or another it's quite likely to be included I'd say - similar clauses are already present in e.g. the KELA study grant eligibility requirements. And those interested might profit from checking out the basics of what EU directives have to say of long-term resident status of third-country citizens... so onkko, it's not MERELY guesswork... although, of course, the actual details of the recent suggestion are not 100% sure until we see the fait accompli.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:41 pm

And I think this has always been an issue for courses that had quotas on foreign students anyway. When I checked the education faculty a few years ago they were only admitting two foreign students per year on to the course I was interested in. But the bla bla was very ambiguous about what a "foreign" student was even then (with no fees).

And:
Im an idiot? You didnt understand whats is happening even there was clear article.
SOMEONE IS PLANNING TO ASK GOVERMENT TO PUT SOMEKIND OF FEE, thats all info there is.
Usually it is the government who asks the ministry to come up with a proposition, not the other way around. So if the MinEdu is working on this, it is because they have been asked to do so by the government. OK, at the upper echelons the lines of responsibility are a bit fuzzy but I don't think the ministries are at will to work on fun projects just as they wish.

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:53 pm

penelope wrote:
Usually it is the government who asks the ministry to come up with a proposition, not the other way around. So if the MinEdu is working on this, it is because they have been asked to do so by the government. OK, at the upper echelons the lines of responsibility are a bit fuzzy but I don't think the ministries are at will to work on fun projects just as they wish.
Someone is asked and thats minedu e.g. Ministry of education. Gov asks minedu and minedu returns something they ask. It doesnt matter how it bounches around, what matters is what its now. No one knows what kind of resolution they got. Sorry if i simplified on my last message :twisted:
I can say you need noble horse and good sword to get place, but i can be wrong. Its still on "braintank" so no one knows for sure.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:48 pm

easily-lost

Post by easily-lost » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:42 pm

Would the tax be lower then?
Se ei pelaa, joka pelkää.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25 am

geniedevil wrote:Or they just know that once they charge polytechnics nobody would come and leave the school buildings empty?
sssshhhhhh!!! living in the Nowheremäki is a way to paradise if you ask a Centre party voter...