American female needs work in Oulu

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Meghan

Post by Meghan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:41 pm

Last edited by Meghan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I walked a mile with Sorrow
and never a word said she
but oh the things I learned from her
when Sorrow walked with me."

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: American female needs work in Oulu

Post by Upphew » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:37 pm

Ummm... fact check:
American? In Oulu? No visa? No work permit = no residence permit? Looking for job with plants and other green thingys, in winter, in northern part of Finland?

Good luck.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Meghan

Post by Meghan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:08 am

Last edited by Meghan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:10 am

You're not from the EU, so in order to get a RP based on work, you not only need to find a job, but it has to be a job where no EU citizens are available for. It means some extra work for the employer to show you are the only one available.
See the obstacles?

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi meghan,

You have to get out of Oulu. Helsinki would be the first step but if that does not work, go to Netherlands, Germany, there are much more international companies then in Oulu or Helsinki. They are also much more used to foreigners and appreciate willing persons (short term employment offices let you in at least:-)

Rabs

Post by Rabs » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Meghan wrote:.... I am looking for any kind of work that is available, wether it be full time or part time, I need a job and will do any kind of work that is available with the exception of selling my soul or my body.

are you here as a tourist? working part time will not qualify for you a work permit .... means no resident permit. finding full time work is a real struggle here ...... if you intend to stay here longer... try to get full time job from an employer who will give you permanency in the job or apply courses which will get you resident permit... or find one hirvi :wink: (local guy) ..... just a penny from Rabs

Meghan

Post by Meghan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Last edited by Meghan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 pm

so there is options to get a residence permit:
a) family reasons
OR
b) work reasons
OR
c) studying

for family reasons there is two options
a) cohabited 2 years
OR
b) married

for work reasons, you have to get a labor certificate which means
a) to find an employer willing to file for you proving there is nobody available in Oulu, Finland nor the whole EU to do the job
AND
b) file in your own home country unless you have a "special case" which seldom exists

for studying you need to have
a) study place in an university/polytechnic
AND
b) have proof of the funds & health insurance
AND
c) file in your own home country

you cannot just come here and expect to stay, except in one instance only. figure out the options. and take in consideration you need to book a time at the US embassy to get your sworn affidavit for the impediments of marriage and they're closed for the holidays.

and as for finding a job in Oulu - the town is teeming not only with locals but foreigners unemployed who already have all their permits who cannot find a job, so what exactly is their incentive to hire someone on a promise they would be able to start work in some 3-4 months - considering the answer can be yes for the certificate and no for the residence permit as its "wrongly applied"? for which the probability is even if there'd be something available as a tropical horticulturist in Oulu to start with... it would be bad enough even you have your residence permit on family ties, but then atleast your employability is significantly higher and you can take about any 7/11 job there is.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Meghan

Post by Meghan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:54 pm

Well, It's good to know that I am totally screwed. Thanks for the extremely positive comments though. However, I will still talk to the people at the immigration center.

As a side note, I think that it really sucks that it is said that foreign labor is encouraged in Finland. On the other hand, it is a double bladed sword in the sense that you can't get a work permit unless you get a job. But, employers really don't want to fill out all that paperwork nor do they want someone who is not fluent in Finnish. I agree I suppose, hiring a Finn would be easier. My point is, foreigners are told they are encouraged to come to Finland but with the the current unemployment rate amongst local Finns, foreigners are often discouraged from working here. By simply just reading through many of the responses in this forum, amongst all the people that have submitted questions about working in Finland, it is obvious to see that the majority of the replies are indeed very discouraging and negative. This is just my opinion though.

For those of you that are a foreigner like me: Don't give up!

For those of you who responded to my posts: Despite my above mentioned reaction, I do appreciate all of you who took the time to reply to my posts. Thank you.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:21 pm

not totally... 98% with sporadic sunshine

yeah, foreign labor for niche jobs is "encouraged".

firstly its someone whom they want to work for them - those people that get headhunted internationally and the big N company applies for their work permit. and they want it chop chop yesterday.

secondly its piss-poor people who get hired by some rip-off outsourcing company that employs no-speak foreigners who think they're getting a good deal and when they start to ask for union wages they get carted back to wherever they came from.

so as you can see, the needs of the industry is what its all about - but as for the rif-raf off the streets who are local already - that isn't what they want.

the chances for staying here for any of the reasons the probability is the best for if you get married. just ask jimmybang if they take any "thinking" or "wanting" or "planning" for an answer... he was a few days off from being sent home in handcuffs. and even after that magical residence permit arrives the part of finding a job is still the problem.... now for plan B there is of course the university in Oulu you could try for in the next admissions in March and the eventual tests etc. but you really need to work hard to get in

yeah, one question I always wonder is do people take a lot of LSD on the airplane when they come over to Finland or why is their perception of reality so alternated?

...even here the 60's are over.. man... and so is positive thinking ... so for people with a problem with arbitrary reality the idea is to write your own answers of what you want to hear... won't be any less screwed, but feels nicer with all them rose petals
Last edited by Pursuivant on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Its like the lottery, some people call lotteryplayers stupid but they all doit :)

Pursuivant is unfortunately right (I know from own experience) there are countries where it is much easier for foreigners to get a life (eventhough there are enough courses offered here for foreigners) the other side is that because it easier there you can unfortunately see that a big part makes a big mess in these countries and bite or cut off the hand that feeds them.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:49 pm

well if we would actually have a labor shortage evident by jobs jumping from the bushes and biting people in the nose like all 256 in Oulu...

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:18 pm

90 percent is not realisable for Meghan but the 10 percent should be looked at yes. One has to know that if you are not in the niche, you have to start from bottom in a new country where you do not speak the language.

Meghan

Post by Meghan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Yes, I have accepted and realize what I need to do and that the hurdles I need to overcome will be difficult to pass. It is not that I feel that I live in a fantasy world of rose petals or that this is 1960s. I knew that coming here would be difficult, that learning the language would be hard and so would be getting a job. Adjusting to the cold and the dark here is difficult for me too. I am from Florida; until I came here I had only seen snow once in my life. Hmmm it appears I am complaining a bit...... :smile:

Anyhow, I am not out of touch with reality, I just did not think that it would be as difficult as it is. However, I always appreciate being told the truth. I'm just not very happy about it. :wink:

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:09 pm

Meghan wrote: I knew that coming here would be difficult, that learning the language would be hard and so would be getting a job.
I consider this still a tiny bit to optimistic. :twisted:
But at least you're open minded about the problems.
Best thing to do is work on your plan B. It is almost certain that you won't get the things sorted out before you have to leave. Accept that possibility and think what to do to come back with more chance of success.