Probability of getting a job in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Pursuivant

Re: Probability of getting a job in Finland

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:46 pm

heh, they look for employees when they put the tender out... if they don't win, theres no need for so many workers... if they win a tender its already too late and then they're in desparate... some places have hiring out just for advertisement... some places are these that hire the people out for these kind of companies that win a tender and need a surge of coding coolies for 3 months or depending on how long the project then really takes - 3 month project usually 3 years...

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Meghan

Post by Meghan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:53 pm

Rick1 wrote: You really have to fit in 100 percent here to get a job and when you are a foreigner you are many percentages from that 100. Finnish people are not so good in negotiating but the ones who can have good salaries.
What you said made me stop and think for a minute. Now, I realize this might be a taboo subject, but are you implying that if you look foreign (I mean not looking like a typical Finn) that you would have less likely of a chance of being interviewed or hired? Be honest.......

Also, what about the opposite, I am American but from Irish decent. Everyone that has met me says that they thought I was Finnish until I spoke (perhaps because I have redish-blond hair and green eyes). Anyhow, do you think that this could help or hurt me?
"I walked a mile with Sorrow
and never a word said she
but oh the things I learned from her
when Sorrow walked with me."

CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:14 pm

I am 180 cm high, blonde, blue eyes. I hope I wan't look like a total alien, though I know that it's a lot about shape of face etc... :D
Image Ř rulezz

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:20 pm

well you don't put your picture in the application (unless specifically requested) so really getting to the interview doesn't much take on the looks...

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:11 pm

[quote="MeghanWhat you said made me stop and think for a minute. Now, I realize this might be a taboo subject, but are you implying that if you look foreign (I mean not looking like a typical Finn) that you would have less likely of a chance of being interviewed or hired? Be honest.......

Also, what about the opposite, I am American but from Irish decent. Everyone that has met me says that they thought I was Finnish until I spoke (perhaps because I have redish-blond hair and green eyes). Anyhow, do you think that this could help or hurt me?[/quote]

I think often I am too honest :lol: Well you have to accept that foreigners are normally not on top of the list and that is in every country the same. The language is here in Finland often an excuse but understandable. About your outlook I think it will not hurt you. It is a pitty however because you cannot choose how you are born :wink:

CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:51 pm

I am not sure if I understood the concept of minimal wages in Finland. What I understand as the minimal wage, is lowest allowed salary, valid everywhere in the country, and for all employers. But from some replies here I got the impression that many companies have unions, which are somehow involved, and the minimal wages vary between companies... Or maybe there is some list of jobs, with stated minimal salary for each position... Could anyone explain this to me ?
Image Ř rulezz

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:05 pm

there is no minimum wage in Finland as such. there is the union system of contracts. so theres really no profession that is not included into a contract... and they are universal, so even if you do not belong to the union nor your employer belongs the union contract still is the basic line. you can go above but not lower.

raamv

Post by raamv » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Meghan wrote:
Rick1 wrote: You really have to fit in 100 percent here to get a job and when you are a foreigner you are many percentages from that 100. Finnish people are not so good in negotiating but the ones who can have good salaries.
What you said made me stop and think for a minute. Now, I realize this might be a taboo subject, but are you implying that if you look foreign (I mean not looking like a typical Finn) that you would have less likely of a chance of being interviewed or hired? Be honest.......

Also, what about the opposite, I am American but from Irish decent. Everyone that has met me says that they thought I was Finnish until I spoke (perhaps because I have redish-blond hair and green eyes). Anyhow, do you think that this could help or hurt me?
Kinda Scary!! Isnt it.. That Racism tends to lift its arms in many places!!
I am not at all White looking..until lately, when I start replying to people in Finnish and they fluster as tho they just got outta the Sauna!!
But then, with Time, and with Integration, you can get what you want...and with things that everyone knows, but no one tells you, you can get doors to open..
as for the OP; why transfer now when jobs ll be transferring there soon..
and Why FINLAND ( Or Sweden..OMG; lets not go there now..) ? Why man why?
Better you get your Uni. degree and think about those things..