IMPORTANT QUESTION (especially for LAWYERS and Human Resourc

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
lookingforjustice

Post by lookingforjustice » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:22 pm

Hello ,
Some co-workers and I are in trouble with our company. we work in an international Finnish company but in Turkey office as mechanical engineer for 2 years. We have been forced working at weekends ( no overtime pay) and included ridiculous works as cleaning,washing dishes,portage under threat discharging from job .and we dont have union right , they didnt give us this right.(we were kinda slave)

Finally, we re discharged from job under the pretext of economical downturn , but they dont pay our compensations, we will sue in Turkey courts and complaint ILO( international labour organisation)

but i was wondering if i inform Finland headquarter about this case( cause they dont likely know this case) , would it be beneficial ? would this way accelerate to take our compensations instead of court , because Turkish courts result end of 2 years. Or do we have right to take court in Finland ? any advises pls ?
sorry i dont want to bother you. But we are desperate and dont know how to do in that situation .

Please advises ...

Thank you all

Guven

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: IMPORTANT QUESTION (especially for LAWYERS and Human Resourc

Post by onkko » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 pm

No, and stop spammig.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Meghan

Post by Meghan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:31 pm

I think your first step should be to inform the Finnish headquarters. It may not advance your case, but they should be informed about what is going on. You have a fight ahead of you either way. And if I were you, I would contact a lawyer in Turkey before approaching Finnish courts but that is just my opinion. You should do something though, if not that company will continue to get away with "slavery." As a note, if you do tell headquarters, make sure you document everything you send to them or say to them, including who you talk to, dates, times et cetera. you may need that information at some point. Also, if you have any records proving that you did work on weekends and that you were taken advantage of would be important too. Anything that is incriminating that you have a hard copy of or, you know on paper, would be much stronger than you just saying you were taken advantage of. I'm not a lawyer though but that is what I would do.

Good luck
"I walked a mile with Sorrow
and never a word said she
but oh the things I learned from her
when Sorrow walked with me."

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:17 am

You write to the Finnish head office.
They ask the Turkish branch what is going on.
They get a different answer (from your story). So everything looks ok.
They estimate worst case scenario (lost trial, some negative publicity)
They tell Turkish branch; "be careful in future".
They go back to more important issues (financial crises).

You can write whatever you want, but don't expect any help from the Finnish head office,

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:45 pm

well you could start a stink in the Finnish press... they love scandal stories.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

pseudo

Post by pseudo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Subsidary entities are subject to local law. However, human sufferings, unjustice, unfair treatment are ethical issues which the parent company can also be liable for. Go get a lawyer, don't try to save some penny from advices posted herein :beer_yum:
"Those are my principles, if you don't like them.... well, I have others" - Groucho Marx

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:22 pm

pseudo wrote:However, human sufferings, unjustice, unfair treatment are ethical issues which the parent company can also be liable for.
Name one company that has suffered more than it has benefited by using sweatshops or child labour... people have short memories and especially here in Finland they look more at price tag than where the product is made. And even if they look where it is made, it is not likely that they think about work conditions there. If I have to choose between, starved child, child prostitute and child labour, I take the last every time.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:00 pm

pseudo wrote:Subsidary entities are subject to local law. However, human sufferings, unjustice, unfair treatment are ethical issues which the parent company can also be liable for. Go get a lawyer, don't try to save some penny from advices posted herein :beer_yum:
Don't give him false hope.
Based on the information it looks like an individual case, not a structural violation of workers rights sanctioned by the parent company. Any legal action has to be taken in Turkey first. And although getting fired is probably related with the earlier problems, it will be hard to prove. The financial crises is a great excuse.

As for raising a stink in the tabloids; as Upphew said, Finns have a short memory and are mainly interested in the price tag.

lookingforjustice

Post by lookingforjustice » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:35 pm

Hey guys ,thanks for your responses.

actually something changed now. other co-workers gave up taking court and they accepted all conditions , so they are re-working , you know, economical downturn, they are scared of jobless.
anyway now i am alone but i am stable to continue my way.
the boss offers little compensation but not included overtime payment.so i dont know what i must do.
if i accept little compensation, i wont have right to sue them for overtime pay, so i ll have to give up overtime payment. but i can sue them for bad treatments.

actually i dont count on Finnish headquarter, i havent informed them yet.and i dont know whether the media ( newspapers ) will be interested in my story or not. if the media was interested in my story, i am sure that i would obtain
some good things like overtime payment and fairness.

i guess that i ll accept little compensation the boss offered me ,because he didnt pay for my last salary, i am in very hard case and then i will sue them for bad treatments during my working. and i will inform Finland headquarter and if the headquarter doesnt do anything, finally i will make it public, newspapers or labour unions.
i dont want to give up this lawsuit. because i was insulted several times ,and now i require justice.

thanks

Guven