Canadian girl to Finland!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
a-dora-ble

Post by a-dora-ble » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:29 am

Hei hei!

I've tried to read as many posts as I can about moving to Finland ..possibly in July (if it all works out). But I have some personal questions I'd like answered.

I will be graduating this April with a Bachelor's in Applied Design - Fashion design and Technology. I have more than one reason why I'd like to move to Finland.
I met a Finnish guy in Taiwan when we both were exchange students there. We've been together for a year (separated that is). Now that I'm almost done school, I'd like to move there A) to be with him and B) to find a job in the fashion industry.

I've been to Finland twice: once in the summer and once over Christmas. I love it there! His family adores me and my boyfriend and I want to move forward. We want to be together.

I've done much research about job opportunities there and I definitely need to have some basic Finnish language skills in order to get a job. I am currently taking some Finnish classes. I don't mind studying some more there if I needed to.

What are my chances of being able to move there? Residency permit? Work visa? If so, how long?
Where can I research some job postings in the fashion industry?

Please advice,
Dora

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Re: Canadian girl to Finland!

Post by interleukin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:50 am

Hi,
this has been discussed many times before in the forum, so do a search to see if you can find other similar posts.

I am no expert, but if you do not have a job, and are not married (or having lived together with your boyfriend for two or more years), I think the only way for you to come here is to come as a student. Obs!, you would have to get that sorted out before moving here (applying for a spot and getting accepted). This would allow you to live with your boyfriend. By staying as a student for at least two years, I believe you could apply again for a residence permit, this time based on family ties. Obs! I am not a 100% sure if they count your two years living together as less than that if you are here on a student visa. Another thing is if Canada and Finland have some kind of special deal about residence permits, you need to look at that also.
These are all things that you really need to find out yourself.
Once again: Use the search function in this forum.

Good luck!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:44 am

Read the lates from Megan was it wanting a job in Oulu. The short and long answers are there.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Stephen B

Post by Stephen B » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:30 pm

From one canadian to another i will say it will not be easy to make a new life over here,..but you are doing it for the right reason.
I think over time when you get maried( :lol: ), few finnish classes everything will be just hunky dory :D

ps. like my late dad says in his song...if it feels good than do it :ochesey:

Vesper

Post by Vesper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Be pre-pared to move back to Canada after 90 days, I did the same thing last spring... moved in with my ex-boyfriend. I ended up moving back to America afterwards. My residence permit under family ties was rejected on the bases that I was not considered a family member. It does not matter how long you have been going out, visit Finland, or lived with him. If you have not lived under co-habitation for two years in the same apartment or household with valid reason for being in the same country, the application will be rejected. Plus, you need documents to prove that like a lease. Now that I am over all of the heartache, I can see why they did not give me a residence permit. To give a residence permit under something that is not binding is too risky. Even if they did approve it, by the time I received the residence permit my ex-boyfriend and I could have split up. Then, they would have given me a residence permit under conditions that would not apply anymore. It would be like handing out free citizenships.

a-dora-ble

Post by a-dora-ble » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:53 am

Vesper wrote:Be pre-pared to move back to Canada after 90 days, I did the same thing last spring... moved in with my ex-boyfriend. I ended up moving back to America afterwards. My residence permit under family ties was rejected on the bases that I was not considered a family member. It does not matter how long you have been going out, visit Finland, or lived with him. If you have not lived under co-habitation for two years in the same apartment or household with valid reason for being in the same country, the application will be rejected. Plus, you need documents to prove that like a lease. Now that I am over all of the heartache, I can see why they did not give me a residence permit. To give a residence permit under something that is not binding is too risky. Even if they did approve it, by the time I received the residence permit my ex-boyfriend and I could have split up. Then, they would have given me a residence permit under conditions that would not apply anymore. It would be like handing out free citizenships.
Would a residence permit be the only thing I could get? What about work visas, or student visas? What if I had more than one reason to stay there? Ultimately, I don't want to move there just purely to be with him. I have to think about myself too. Because I have a degree in fashion (and fashion there is also pretty prominent), I'd like to see if I could get a job there. What do you think?

a-dora-ble

Post by a-dora-ble » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:56 am

Stephen B wrote:From one canadian to another i will say it will not be easy to make a new life over here,..but you are doing it for the right reason.
I think over time when you get maried( :lol: ), few finnish classes everything will be just hunky dory :D

ps. like my late dad says in his song...if it feels good than do it :ochesey:

Yes for sure it would be really different. I'm Asian Canadian and when I went there the last two times, Finns weren't treating me as if they were racist but more of a fascination. I stood out! I adapt very easily, I'm a quick learner...

I just need a way to get there and stay!

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:38 am

Would a residence permit be the only thing I could get? What about work visas, or student visas?
In all cases, you need to get a permission to live and reside in Finland (a residence permit). This permit will be given on the basis of you having (as said before) proof of family ties, having a job already or having in your hand a student visa.

Coming to Finland as a student might be the best option for you, if you still want to stay here at the end of your studies you can try to argue for family ties (presumably having lived with your Finnish partner during your studies). But you need to find a study programme in not-Finnish and get accepted. And you also need to remember that coming here as a student, you will be like a "half-resident" in that you do not get all the same rights as someone who is a registered resident. One can be a tourist, a student or a resident.

/interleukin

Vesper

Post by Vesper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Like interleukin said, a student residence permit would be your best opition. If I was in your shoes, I would delay my flight to Finland from July to August. This way you will be able to take the entrance exam for a study placement during your 90 day visit. The application processes starts in September, the exams are held in late October, possibly early November depending on the college. Then, go back to Canada get a seasonal job, and before you know it you will probably be back in Finland on a more permit bases. (that's if you pass the entrance exam). As far as a work permit, they are even hard to get when you are not a EU citizen. Employers don't want to go through the long processes of getting a permiment to hire someone they do not know will work out. I don't think fashion degrees are in high demand in Finland. I only lived in Turku, and I think the only fashionable store was H & M, but they are a swedish based company. If you want to get into the fashion business go to new york, london or paris. That or start your own business in Finland. They need better lingerie stores. :wink:

EP

Post by EP » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:50 pm

How about applying for Masters degree in The University of Art and Design Helsinki? Here: http://www.taik.fi/en/But you have to hurry because admission timetable for MA degree programmes 2009 is from January 12th to February 27th.

missishot

Post by missishot » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 am

you can stay here easily ONLY if he marries you in Canada and then brings you here! no other easy ways!

missishot

Post by missishot » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:26 am

ah about fashion hehehe Finland has NO fashion at all, so forget. It is a very moderate and poor country to think about fashion.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:27 am

missishot wrote:ah about fashion hehehe Finland has NO fashion at all, so forget. It is a very moderate and poor country to think about fashion.
What do you mean?

znark

missishot

Post by missishot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:31 pm

To Juka: hahaha exactly what I meant - that is horrible- no taste at all!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:19 pm

missishot wrote:ah about fashion hehehe Finland has NO fashion at all, so forget. It is a very moderate and poor country to think about fashion.
Dictionary: fash·ion (făsh'ən)
n.

1. The prevailing style or custom, as in dress or behavior: out of fashion.
Afaik, Finland has prevailing style or custom
2. Something, such as a garment, that is in the current mode: a swimsuit that is the latest fashion.
Ditto
3. The style characteristic of the social elite: a man of fashion.
Social elite... hmh I'll give you that
1. Manner or mode; way: Set the table in this fashion.
2. A personal, often idiosyncratic manner: played the violin in his own curious fashion.
5. Kind or variety; sort: people of all fashions.
6. Shape or form; configuration.
4. Finland has manners... kinda
5. As Jukka pointed out, there are variety
6. Finland has also shapes and forms.

It seems that Finland have fashion after all, its your problem that you don't like it. Or an opportunity to make it, but in a true Finnish way you bash it and don't seize the opportunity. ;)
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.