Where to buy North American birthday cakes?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Kristina2

Post by Kristina2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 am

Does anyone know if there is a shop in Helsinki making canadian style birthday cakes? The cakes here are lovely but our little ones love the traditional cakes they are used to getting. Of course I can always make but thought I would see if I can find a professional first:) Thanks for your help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tiwaz

Re: Where to buy North American birthday cakes?

Post by Tiwaz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 am

If you shovel up enough cash and give them clear and precise enough instructions I would guess just about every bakery would make custom made cake for you.

Of course, there is risk that you have to provide some of the ingredients yourself if you use something odd across the pond.

jas_rho

Post by jas_rho » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 am

You can buy Betty Crocker cake mixes and the icing for them too from most CityMarkets in the Helsinki-Espoo region. But I have never seen a bakery selling ready made North American style cakes. Post back here if you find something.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:04 pm

jas_rho wrote:But I have never seen a bakery selling ready made North American style cakes. Post back here if you find something.
I have never seen a bakery selling ready made cakes. They are nearly always ordered beforehand.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Kristina2

Post by Kristina2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for the betty crocker tip!

Are finnish wedding cakes different than North American ones? I was thinking that I could try a wedding shop if they were at all similar....

jas_rho

Post by jas_rho » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Kristina2 wrote:Thanks for the betty crocker tip!

Are finnish wedding cakes different than North American ones? I was thinking that I could try a wedding shop if they were at all similar....
Haven't been to a ton of weddings here but no, they aren't the same at all. They are still the typical finnish style cakes.

ajl

Post by ajl » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Upphew wrote:I have never seen a bakery selling ready made cakes. They are nearly always ordered beforehand.
My family is quite partial to a cake from the Fazer cafe on Kluuvikatu. Of course, they aren't the standard north american cake,
they are very good tho'.

My kids want ice cream cakes which I find a hassle to make. Barring that they make me promise to make a good buttercream
frosting and sometimes chocolate ganache for the filling. This is their vote against the whipped cream covered cake one
will get otherwise.
moving is in the bad <-> crazy continuum

Kristina2

Post by Kristina2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Guess I will have to make one:)