Where to pick up my LARGE package?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
RayChou

Post by RayChou » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi there,

My family in Asia are going to send a large package (around 0.5m*0.5m*0.5m) to me by EMS (Express Mail Service).
Are you guys knowing where to pick up such a large package while it arrives in Finland?
Will the postman call me in advance or just leave the package at my door?

BR,

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Where to pick up my LARGE package?

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:36 am

they'll squish it in a big comapctor and stuff it through your mailslot.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rosilla

Post by Rosilla » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:47 am

from what I remember they sent me a pick up slip saying I had to go to the post office to pick it up, but depending on the way they send it they might contact you on when it can be delivered to you... but most likely you will just have to go get it yourself, you have about 2 weeks to go get it and pay any taxes that they deem nessisary...
Image Image

Ref

Post by Ref » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:28 pm

as stated above they will send you pickup slip if you have to pay taxes think you gotta go to tulli's office wich's in the main post office, no taxes so the nearest post office but the slip will tell you anyway where to go.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:17 pm

We ordered a bike from France and we had to pick it up from the local Siwa store in Matinkyla :?

jtammilehto

Post by jtammilehto » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:01 pm

The only Asian country that MIGHT someday be in the EU is Turkey - so you don't have to worry about anyone leaving it at your doorstep.

You will almost surely be getting a note from Finnish Customs to come and explain why you shouldn't pay a significant amount of customs and ALV(VAT) - also chargeable on the amount of postage.

sandundasa

Post by sandundasa » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Normally EMS packages are delivered home. But if custom wants to open it and check, they will put a notice in your mail box. So you have to go to custom and they will open and check it in front of you.

indyhel

Post by indyhel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm

There are two possibilities. Either your local post office or the customs post office which is close to the freight centre at the airport. In either case you will get a notification in your post box. As someone said, if it goes to the customs post office you will have to open it to proove contents and have to pay customs charges and tax (this depends on the value and what type of goods they are - you can check customs web page for details)

The only way it will go to your local post office is if the value is low, I believe under 35 USD or if the contents are listed as 'gift'. In this case you should not be liable for charges.