Lidl -- K/S etc.

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
jtammilehto

Lidl -- K/S etc.

Post by jtammilehto » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:25 pm

I started a topic with the wrong name of a marketplace - the latest posts ended up being about Lidl

A poster is thinking Lidl's produce (HEVI) is filled with poisons - and also that they have lousy labor policies.

My last post on the wrongly named topic was this - I thought it might be a place to start a new topic which might be around the subject of Lidl and what I think is a lack of competition in the food trade (among others) in Finland
penelope » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:59 am
Well, at least Lidl is employing people (and many of those they employ would otherwise be unemployed eg foreign students) and it is a growing chain in Finland opening up proximity stores in places where there is not much else. Any competition is welcome in Finland where there is effectively a quasi-monopoly by S-group (which would probably not be legal in most other European countries), so it is nice to have a choice. And that is what it is, a choice. Whether you choose to shop there or not is your privilege as a customer. I like their pricing, I like the fact that parking is free, I like the fact they don't have loyalty cards, I like the fact that I can get reasonably good fruit and veg and even Freetrade produce (tea, coffee, orange juice, chocolate) and organic food (flour, ketchup) as well as the usual Finnish staples. I can't afford to shop daily for 5 in Ekolo or Ruohojuuri...

What do you mean when you say there are no "proper markings" for organic produce in Finland?
http://www.evira.fi/portal/fi/kasvintuo ... omumerkki/
http://www.hepuli.com/tietopankkidrupal/node/1
penelope

I have to basically agree.

There is the question of Lidl's employment policies - but as far as I know they follow the law and Finland has some of the planet's most employee-favorable laws.

It probably acts as an entry place for young workers - just as McD's - nothing wrong with that. I started life getting 1$ for sharpening 400 knives in the US - I survived.

WalMart also 'exploits' labor - but there are good chances to learn and move on.

As for Lidl's position on the market - one should be pretty thankful they exist. It has been the ONLY SIGN of life in what his supposed to be a competitive market.

Kesko just announced huge profits - S-Group officials get very nice salaries - both think they are God's Gift to the Cionsumer by overcharging 20-40% -- and then giving you back 1-2% if you continue to let yourself be robbed.

There are a lot of not-so-good Lidl products - but they are mostly in the processed category - but that's the same for the traditional junky Finnish processed stuff - be it Saarioinen, Atria, etc.

Some items are dodgy and I wonder about their 'marketing' - they claim Iltalehti has given #1 Taste to their green Belarom coffee - tried it and I can still taste the bitterness.

On the other hand I tried their new (Velbo?) Black Label Emmenthal - and while did not A-B it with Valio it certainly tasted great and was 12€ kilo - not Kesko's 40-50-60% higher for Valio. There are a LOT of products like that - one just has to use their own sense of taste etc. And KNOW HOW TO COUNT!

Lidl's vegetables are on the whole as good as any in the K-S system. CM Sello has a good selection and controls mostly for freshness - they just could drop prices by 50%! Lidl is also fairly adventurous with selling items beyond potatoes and turnips - this is a welcome change to the usual where a 'budget' approach avoids anything outside the mainstream taste of a culture.

I noticed that Aldi has now started in US too - and they are all over Europe - so maybe they start here.

Rather than be concerned with Lidl's employee policies - perhaps a responsible Finnish citizen should more wonder how K and S have managed to keep competition OFF the Finnish market and penalize everyone with high prices! Tesco has been kept out - Lidl had a hell of a fight - and in another field everyone should know about the rotten politics that was used to keep IKEA out! Finland supposedly scores high in anti-corruption numbers - but still SOMEHOW the local big shots prevail!

Lidl -- K/S etc.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

buldozr

Re: Lidl -- K/S etc.

Post by buldozr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Hm, they also have the honesty to warn you when they did catch a little salmonella in their mozzarella.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:23 am

buldozr wrote:Hm, they also have the honesty to warn you when they did catch a little salmonella in their mozzarella.
It's not honesty, it is fear. If they were caught in Finland and it came out that they already knew... Bad PR and heavy fines.

Mook

Post by Mook » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:37 am

Tiwaz wrote:
buldozr wrote:Hm, they also have the honesty to warn you when they did catch a little salmonella in their mozzarella.
It's not honesty, it is fear. If they were caught in Finland and it came out that they already knew... Bad PR and heavy fines.
So, if were stockmann: "yeah their honest"
lidl: "fear"

Who's reputation would it damage most? (didn't Stockmann have some issues with selling out-of-day food?)
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Mook wrote: Who's reputation would it damage most? (didn't Stockmann have some issues with selling out-of-day food?)
After the incident, IIRC they offered compensation (money/gift card) to anyone who found an item with a passed use-by date. I'm not sure whether that policy is still in effect, though.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:59 am

Mook wrote:
So, if were stockmann: "yeah their honest"
lidl: "fear"
And here you are again jumping the gun.

No, I would say it is fear for Stockmann as well. And their little reward thing was all about damage control.

I do not believe any companies to do things because it is "right". They do things because alternative has too bad risk/benefit ratio. If they were confident they could get away with it and it would be profitable, every chain would sell rotten products.

Nothing is ever done for benefit of customers. Lidl is not out there as "champion of the people" but trying to make profit through taking advantage of large infrastructure.

S and K chains cannot use same methods so they have to go for different way of making money. They cannot imitate Lidl because they do not have huge chain infrastructure to back them up.

Simple as that, but apparently so difficult for some to grasp.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 am

BTW: Chicken Tikka Masala and frozen samosas/bhajis in Lidl today!

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:37 am

jtammilehto wrote:(...)

I noticed that Aldi has now started in US too - and they are all over Europe - so maybe they start here.
Aldi is in the US since 1976, so it's not really new ;)
Considering they are not in Sweden or Norway, I wouldn't hold my breath to see them coming here. :?
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

llewellyn

Post by llewellyn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:25 am

I know Lidl really has some questionable labour policies, but I still think it is heaven sent in the semi-cartel that is our grocery sector in Finland - the same prices, the same products, the same selection. Lidl is cheap, which is good, but it has also a different selection - it's a breath of fresh air here (which says how bad a situation we have in Finland with this Sokos and Kesko duopoly).

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:23 pm

I for one am glad Lidl is here, someone said Tescos were kept out, now that IS a shame. OK you can't get anything 'fancy' in Lidl but for the basics Lidl are literally half the price than in the K or S markets, and some produce is actually better, their apples are fresh and not rotten like half the apples in the K market, their mineral water is half the price of K market, €2.25 for a bottle of water in K market they are seriously having a laugh, I could go on! I do love living here but man I am sick and tired of being ripped off with food shopping in Finnish supermarkets, bring on the competition!!

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:25 am

pierrot wrote:
jtammilehto wrote:(...)

Aldi is in the US since 1976, so it's not really new ;)
Considering they are not in Sweden or Norway, I wouldn't hold my breath to see them coming here. :?
I am surprised to hear that Aldi has been in the US since 1976. I had never seen one until recently, but less than a year ago an Aldi store opened not far from where I live, about a twenty minute drive away. Recently I went there, just to look around to see what was available. It is a medium sized store, not big and not small, and it seemed to be stocked with "basic" foods, not much "junk" food. That works well for me because I like basic kinds of food. I also noticed that the food prices were quite reasonable, in some cases much less expensive than in other, larger food stores. Because I had never seen an Aldi before I asked where Aldi comes from, and I was told it is a German business. I think I will return there and go shopping. It seems to have nearly all of what I need, at very attractive prices.

snorlonikins

Post by snorlonikins » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Another advantage that Lidl has - I can read the packages and instructions for various items are also in English!

I agree 100% that supermarkets are in in for the profit and not for the benefit of the consumer. Although a Teco online shopper in th UK, I have grown very suspicious of that chain. If they get what they're after, market monopoly, then prices would rise and quality would suffer.

As it is the UK supermarket suppliers are cut to the bone on their prices.