Winter shoes for frozen roads

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
kryss

Post by kryss » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Hello!!

After my experience of slipping innumerable times on frozen roads during last winter :oops: , I am still looking for shoes that would help me walk better. So, I have been checking out stores for proper shoes but without success :? . I have seen warm, sturdy boots but they were only for the cold and snow but not for icy/frozen surface. Could someone tell me where to buy and what kind of winter shoes will be warm but do not slide (atleast not too much) on the icy surface.

Thank you!
kryss

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Winter shoes for frozen roads

Post by Upphew » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Your problem boils down to physics: getting as much friction on ice as on dry road. And that is not going to happen. You have to adjust the way you walk to the weather. The shoe thing is covered pretty well here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50307
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

magenta22

Post by magenta22 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:20 pm

No shoe will keep you upright if it is pure ice no matter how good the grip on them.

I got a good pair of winter boots in Sokos

ilikepeanutbutter

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:18 pm

http://cozywinters.com/ice-cleats/ice-cleats.html

Ice cleats are the way to go. I've had them for years and they're really great at not slipping.

I don't care I look foreign or whatever in them, I prefer it to busting my ass on ice.

You can find them in Prisma near the sports section at winter.

sujitsu

Post by sujitsu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:31 pm

As the OP in the thread Upphew mentioned, I can say that regardless, you should invest in a pair of boots with grips on the sole (as opposed to completely flat). However, as you are probably aware, when it is particularly icy (i.e. temperatures hovering around 0ºC with melt/freeze), the grippy boots are still not quite good enough. So like ilikepeanutbutter said, if you want to go anywhere fast, your best bet is to invest in the ice cleats. Yes, they are a bit unfashionable, and people might tease you that only grandmothers wear them, but they are really the best solution on particularly slippery days.

I have to grudgingly admit it probably also is a factor of how you walk. I kept slipping when putting my heel on the ground first (going literally head over heels in the process). Maybe you have to put the foot down flat in one go or something. I'm not sure, but watching Finnish girls texting + running for a bus + wearing Uggs on the worst ice imaginable, it seems the Finns have a secret that they are not sharing...

ANYWAY, I found a decent pair of boots in Aleksi13 of all places, but Dinsko, Nelson Shoes, Click shoes will all have something decent (and fashionable) to offer for a reasonable price. Halonen is also quite good for choice, but a bit expensive. Sokos could also be a good bet.

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:17 pm

sujitsu wrote:it seems the Finns have a secret that they are not sharing...
The great Finnish inventor, Spede Pasanen, developed a walking style for frozen roads. You have to walk with your legs stiff, leaning slightly forward, like a drunk and/or a skier. (Or something along those lines. I googled it and everyone seems to have a different interpretation.)

dave071061

Post by dave071061 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 am

I´ve been using Icebugs for the last 3 years,

http://www.icebug.fi/

They have studs built in just like the winter car tires and they have been great for walking the dogs, they are also very warm.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:55 am

If you use some sort of studs, remember that they can turn really slippery when you go indoors if you leave them on. No to mention that people might not appreciate the effects of metal on floor...

As for walking. Like said, it is all about learning how to walk. Basic idea is that force should be directed in 90 degree angle towards the surface. Namely, straight down.

If you walk with heel first, your leg wants to push forward. No biggie on surface with high friction, but on ice it does not stop so that you could step forward.

You could try it on little more slippery surfaces (say laminate and with smooth socks etc).

Bavarian

Post by Bavarian » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:59 pm

You could try it on little more slippery surfaces (say laminate and with smooth socks etc).
viewtopic.php?p=341230#p341230

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:09 pm

dave071061 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 am
I´ve been using Icebugs for the last 3 years,

http://www.icebug.fi/

They have studs built in just like the winter car tires and they have been great for walking the dogs, they are also very warm.
Finally I can see some normal people sharing my problem :D How do they fare indoor?

I just started wearing those big spikes/claws under my boots, but it needs to be taken off frequently and really slippery to walk on hard flat place indoor, to the point I need to hold something when I go back to my apartment or risk rolling down the stairs.

Are shoes like icebug's studded what people wear when they jog on slippery ice? I know you can walk carefully on ice but jogging and walking downhill seem crazy .. Or maybe wearable studs are better than big claws indoor? But are they more stable on ice than claws?

Another option I found is https://www.kickspike.com/ with retractable studs.. have to ship from US

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:20 pm

After some more attempts going out in deep snow, I guess Icebug's would not be good enough as universal boots, because some places are crazy enough to use hardwood floor and you'd have to walk bare-footed inside to prevent damage.

A workaround I managed to find is Icer's from Canada, which is an entire hard sole tied below boots by velcro straps. It's huge and ugly even on the manufacturer's own photos, but does the job well - walked on both of deep snow and hardened ice for hours without discomfort or stability problem, and can be taken on and off easily, except having to carry a big bag or backpack just for it.

Ligence

Post by Ligence » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:54 am

I've had Icebugs for several years now, and they've been fantastic. One can really walk as though there was no ice to speak of. As this winter got really slippery, some of my friends have bought one or two pairs of Icebugs, including the running shoe kind, and have given high praise.

Since the studs do get pressed in on hard surfaces, the shoes have never felt slippery indoors as the rubber sole gets to make contact. However, the studs will most certainly damage wooden floors, plastic carpeting, etc!

Try to find some place that allows returns, and try them out.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:14 pm

Ligence wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:54 am
I've had Icebugs for several years now, and they've been fantastic. One can really walk as though there was no ice to speak of. As this winter got really slippery, some of my friends have bought one or two pairs of Icebugs, including the running shoe kind, and have given high praise.
Thanks, I'm considering their safe boots... Almost no review elsewhere.

How durable are theirs? Did they ever break from normal use or need soles replaced? Some greedy manufacturers started using biodegradable material in recent years and a pair of mine disintegrated after ~5 years; none of the soles ever lasted more than 2 yr. Since I moved I've been wearing exclusively Haix' for durability.

Ligence

Post by Ligence » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:35 am

agroot wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:14 pm
Thanks, I'm considering their safe boots... Almost no review elsewhere.

How durable are theirs? Did they ever break from normal use or need soles replaced? Some greedy manufacturers started using biodegradable material in recent years and a pair of mine disintegrated after ~5 years; none of the soles ever lasted more than 2 yr. Since I moved I've been wearing exclusively Haix' for durability.
I've had mine for a little over 6 years now, and they're still in great condition with fairly little evident wear. Mind you, I mostly use them when I specifically go for a walk somewhere and it's either icy or outright snowy, which in turn doesn't wear the soles much. Some milder winters, I may not have used them at all. I wouldn't be surprised to be using the same pair in 2025.

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Ligence wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:35 am
I've had mine for a little over 6 years now, and they're still in great condition with fairly little evident wear. Mind you, I mostly use them when I specifically go for a walk somewhere and it's either icy or outright snowy, which in turn doesn't wear the soles much. Some milder winters, I may not have used them at all. I wouldn't be surprised to be using the same pair in 2025.
Thanks a lot! I also found they sell this oversole to cover the studs indoors.

-----

Spotted something else: boots with "OC System"' grips, that can be flipped on/off easily and used in several brands such as Olang and Pajar

Those boots look much cheaper; good/special ones especially those with new grip or tested for -40C are not available in Europe. I found a single model of safe boots using the grip.

-----

More:

Finnish brand Halti has some studded shoes using "GripmaxX Spike", looks identical to Icebug's BUGrip, and they sell the same oversole as well.

Korker's fishing boots with easily replaceable soles, available in some outdoor equipment shops here.