I just did the exam - what about yours?

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
menene

Post by menene » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Hello people,

I'm posting this 1 hour after leaving the exam room here at Germany. I took the exam for IT. I should say that, after doing too many entrance examinations examples, I found this not easy but not difficult - some problems were expected, but others were totally different.

However, the balance seems good for me, if they keep such a low cut-off marks for IT - asked to many universities, and not a single one was having more than 4.7 to get into the degree with the entrance exam. It seems that not so much people goes for IT - not like International Business, which is full of people. Here at Germany we were 7-8 people taking the exam (4 were actually native germans) and as far I know, only three people is going to pass (if I include myself) and likely to get admitted.

Results will be posted around 17th July, so the waiting time is a long while. It's a shame that we can't know about the results before that date.

Your turn, forum. How your exam (if you done it already) went? I hope it went/goes well!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Adlrv

Re: I just did the exam - what about yours?

Post by Adlrv » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Thank you for valuable information about the test. I'm going to take the same test (or a similar one) in Estonia on the 18th.

Do you have any tips about what types of problems should I focus on during my preparations (Geometry problems \ Percentage problems \ Types of equations \ Something else)? What about Physics and Chemistry? Was there also Organic Chemistry? What problems were new or different comparing to the examples from previous years? What problems were the most difficult ones in your opinion?

Why do you think that only 3 people out of 7-8 are going to pass? If I'm reading the stats from 2011 correctly (http://www.koulutusnetti.fi/files/amk_a ... _s2011.pdf), some polytechnics weren't even able to fill all the studying places (columns "Valpat" and "Valitut"). Some polytechnics even have the lowest acceptance scores ("Alin pistemäära") as low as 20 percent (Vaasa, Rovaniemi) for IT ("Tietotekniikan"). Or am I wrong or missing something?

Thank you for your help.

menene

Post by menene » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Adlrv wrote:Thank you for valuable information about the test. I'm going to take the same test (or a similar one) in Estonia on the 18th.
Good luck! I don't think they would put you the same one... although that doesn't matter since they're very similar.
Adlrv wrote: Do you have any tips about what types of problems should I focus on during my preparations (Geometry problems \ Percentage problems \ Types of equations \ Something else)? What about Physics and Chemistry? Was there also Organic Chemistry? What problems were new or different comparing to the examples from previous years? What problems were the most difficult ones in your opinion?
Maths here are basic... would take a closer look to geometry if you didn't. The rest... you should know how to do it if you have High School - I did the Social Sciences (and not pure science) and I was able to do them all, except one of geometry.

I can't talk about chemistry since I know nothing about it, I did the physics part. One problem was about a plane heading to the north at certain velocity and wind hitting the plane from the east at other velocity, and you had to calculate velocity and direction. The other two were about forces and gravity, normal stuff you can found on another exams.
Adlrv wrote: Why do you think that only 3 people out of 7-8 are going to pass? If I'm reading the stats from 2011 correctly (http://www.koulutusnetti.fi/files/amk_a ... _s2011.pdf), some polytechnics weren't even able to fill all the studying places (columns "Valpat" and "Valitut"). Some polytechnics even have the lowest acceptance scores ("Alin pistemäära") as low as 20 percent (Vaasa, Rovaniemi) for IT ("Tietotekniikan"). Or am I wrong or missing something?
Oh, that was an innocent comment. You know, I saw their faces and they were like :| and blank answer sheets (we were sit in front of each other). I don't really know if they will pass or what :lol:

Adlrv

Post by Adlrv » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:01 pm

menene wrote:Maths here are basic... would take a closer look to geometry if you didn't. The rest... you should know how to do it if you have High School - I did the Social Sciences (and not pure science) and I was able to do them all, except one of geometry.

I can't talk about chemistry since I know nothing about it, I did the physics part. One problem was about a plane heading to the north at certain velocity and wind hitting the plane from the east at other velocity, and you had to calculate velocity and direction. The other two were about forces and gravity, normal stuff you can found on another exams.
I am glad to hear that. I should be fine then.
menene wrote: Oh, that was an innocent comment. You know, I saw their faces and they were like :| and blank answer sheets (we were sit in front of each other). I don't really know if they will pass or what :lol:
Oh, I see. Well, if they apply to one of the not-so-popular polytechnics (Vaasa, Rovaniemi, Kokkola and such), then apparently they will only have to score the minimum 10 points out of 30 - considering the number of applicants stays the same since 2011. Shouldn't be difficult.

Thank you for your help.

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 am

I am so nervous and haven't been in school for a long time. The system over here in Europe is different and the questions seemed really hard. I am so nervous but I am tired of working crap jobs. I wish I had done this 4 years ago!

tireboy

Post by tireboy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 am

hello people. any tips for taking the exam? :/

chungpham

Post by chungpham » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Im applying to Finnish UAS next year. Can you say more about IT exam in entrance examination?

Adlrv

Post by Adlrv » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Took the test in Estonia today. Looks like it wasn't the same test as in Germany (judging by what Menene wrote earlier about the test in Germany). As I expected, there seem to be at least several versions of the same test.

The test went fine and I was able to solve all 10 problems in 2.5 hours. Most of the problems were very similar to those in the sample tests. Some problems were slightly more difficult and required a bit of thinking. The logical deduction part contained the usual math problems and I don't see why they had to name it "logical deduction".

The first problem contained 3 basic equations. There were no logarithms, trigonometry equations, inequalities or anything advanced. There were also 2 geometry problems. The physics part was about calculating velocities, acceleration and forces.
tireboy wrote:hello people. any tips for taking the exam? :/
You should probably solve all the sample tests for previous years. In case you don't have them - http://wikisend.com/download/445996/Samples.7z

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 pm

menene

Post by menene » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:45 am

Adlrv wrote:Took the test in Estonia today. Looks like it wasn't the same test as in Germany (judging by what Menene wrote earlier about the test in Germany). As I expected, there seem to be at least several versions of the same test.

The test went fine and I was able to solve all 10 problems in 2.5 hours. Most of the problems were very similar to those in the sample tests. Some problems were slightly more difficult and required a bit of thinking. The logical deduction part contained the usual math problems and I don't see why they had to name it "logical deduction".

The first problem contained 3 basic equations. There were no logarithms, trigonometry equations, inequalities or anything advanced. There were also 2 geometry problems. The physics part was about calculating velocities, acceleration and forces.
Congratulations on your exam! :thumbsup:

Well, the question you just have said are the same I had a week ago, so it should be, if not the same, a very similar exam. And that's not a surprise - I guess they do a general exam and they just change a little the questions and the equations. Also, agreeing with the logical deduction part... it was basic maths (except one of them which was more logical than maths).
Rosamunda wrote:...
:?:

chungpham

Post by chungpham » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:53 am

What kind of problem are there in math and logical?

GoodChild

Post by GoodChild » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:00 am

chungpham wrote:What kind of problem are there in math and logical?
Không biết bạn biết link này chưa? Nếu bạn thi khối Technology thì đề sẽ tựa thế này :)

http://portal.hamk.fi/portal/page/porta ... 2011_1.pdf
http://portal.hamk.fi/portal/page/porta ... 2010_1.pdf

chungpham

Post by chungpham » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 am

Oh. Thank you. I've just seen. I'll apply IT. Have you done your exam in Vietnam? Is there difficult?

GoodChild

Post by GoodChild » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:19 am

chungpham wrote:Oh. Thank you. I've just seen. I'll apply IT. Have you done your exam in Vietnam? Is there difficult?
I live in SG, but I have to come to HN because Metropolia entrance exam is only held in Finnish Embassy :). I've just done that exam and I will take FINNips exam tomorrow 20/4 (Technology).

I must say the exams are less knowledgeable than Vietnamese University exams :D but more logical ;). The exams are not difficult, you should do the exam carefully and not misunderstand the questions :D.

st.james

Post by st.james » Mon May 21, 2012 6:50 pm

does anyone remember the questions if you have taken the metropolia engineering exam?